• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Can I Optimize For Google Images

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beep

beep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

I have several thumbnails on my website that when clicked load larger images. Clicking the thumbnail displays a lighbox if JavaScript is enabled but gracefully degrades to a link of just the larger image of the thumbnail.

Any targeted traffic from Google Image search would be welcomed and I'm wondering how I can optimize my images beyond a good file name, good alt and longdesc attributes, and files optimized for size through online tools like kraken.

In particular I am concerned of the size I should make the larger images. Bigger is great but too large wastes bandwidth and takes more time to download. Are there any sizes I should strive for and is there a minimum dimension or pixel count of what Google Images uses to display what "Large" is? I've seen "Large" 864x971 and "Medium" 1024x683.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

You need to be sure the images are unique and that Google saw them on your site first.

You probably also need to have a lot of link value flowing to your site because Google Image Search favors link-popular Websites.  That's not a sign they are high quality sites (in fact, most of them are extremely low quality).  It just means that Google Image Search is easily manipulated by link schemes.

That said, why do you want Google Image traffic?  A lot of it will be people looking to download images.  If you do not want people to download your images you really do not want to be found in Google Image Search (or anyone else's image search).

#3 beep

beep

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

Thank you.

The images are unique and Google will see them first on my site once it goes live. I will also be doing a lot of online and offline marketing to draw traffic to my site and to establish it as an authoritative resource.

I use S3 buckets from Amazon for website hosting; not only is it fast but it's also cheap. I'm not worried about people coming to download the images only as my content is very specific and if people are downloading the images they already have a strong interest in content. If someone of that traffic converts to page landings then I would be very happy.

As far as what size to make the image do you have any thoughts? Do you know what constitutes a "Large" image?

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:02 AM

A lot of it will be people looking to download images.

I'd go further, and say that many of those people won't even bother to visit your page. They'll simply download it directly from the Google search results, especially as that now has a "view image" button that displays a full-size version of the image.

Mike

• Jill likes this

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

They will also hotlink the images from blogs and forums.  I have never found image search to be a very good source of traffic.  I don't invest much time in it any more.

As for what makes an image "large", I don't know what the boundaries are but file size (impacted by format and color depth) is taken into consideration.

I would guess that anything at least 1024x1024 would be indexed as a "large" image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.