• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Sitemaps In Webmaster Tools

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:22 AM

I have a sitemap in WMT which has been sat at 487 URLs submitted and 82 indexed for about 3 months now. There are no directives in robots.txt blocking these pages or any noindex tags on the pages. Most of the pages are blog/article type of pages that have good links from reputable news outlets that have picked up the stories organically. When I type the full URL of the news article in to Google it doesnt show up even after a week or so, yet the parent page which is the category page does show up with the snippet of the news article. Ive checked the category page to see if there is anything prevent crawlers from following the links but can't find anything. 

The site was affected by one of the Penguin updates a couple of years ago, but traffic has been recovering well and is back to the same if not better levels than before the update hit the site. Could this still be affecting the site? Also the website is built in .net and has a lot of code under the bonnet might this be affecting the crawl efficiency?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eddy

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

What happens if you take a sentence from the page and copy it with quotes into a Google search?

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

Old Penguin issues might still be affecting a site today, especially if you did nothing to resolve those issues.

It's unlikely that a large amount of HTML code would affect crawl but if the navigational links are not properly formatted you might see some crawl errors.  You should check the crawl errors report in Google Search Console.

Blogs can be notoriously inefficient by design.  If you have large numbers of navigational links per page it can help to move the majority of those links to single pages and just link to the pages from the menu.  For example, if you have dozens of monthly and category archive links you can place those on a user-friendly page and link to it from the menu (or the widget sidebar).

You should also make sure your "robots.txt" is not impeding crawl.

If you are using any SEO plugins make sure they are not adding "rel='nofollow'" to internal navigational links.  Also, do not allow them to add "robots" meta tags to category and tag pages, especially do not allow them to add "nofollow" robot meta directives.

#4 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:45 AM

What happens if you take a sentence from the page and copy it with quotes into a Google search?

The category page shows up with the snippet of the article.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

The category page shows up with the snippet of the article.

Strange. What about pasting in part of the article that isn't on the category page? Or does the category page contain the entire article? If so, that could be the problem. Use the "More" tag (if it's Wordpress) and enable category pages to only show a summary, rather than the entire post. That may help.

#6 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

Strange. What about pasting in part of the article that isn't on the category page? Or does the category page contain the entire article? If so, that could be the problem. Use the "More" tag (if it's Wordpress) and enable category pages to only show a summary, rather than the entire post. That may help.

If I paste in part of the article that isnt on the category page, nothing shows in the results.

The category page only shows around 150 characters.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

Definitely sounds like something is blocking those pages. Have you tried to fetch as google?

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:53 AM

I have a sitemap in WMT which has been sat at 487 URLs submitted and 82 indexed for about 3 months now.

Are there any real links pointing to the URLs in question?

Being listed in a 'site map' means very little for being shown to searchers.

#9 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

very few links, but I would have thought that the pages would have been indexed from all the links to the category page?

I've done a fetch as Google and submitted the URL to index, didnt come back with any issues. 

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

but I would have thought that the pages would have been indexed from all the links to the category page

Not if the "category pages" have little or no value either.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

I would have thought that the pages would have been indexed from all the links to the category page?

You are correct. They should be.

I've done a fetch as Google and submitted the URL to index, didnt come back with any issues. 

That's especially strange. Can you pm me a few of the URLs, please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.