• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help With Organic Search Resluts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wavo

wavo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:56 AM

Hello,

So I have a site called:

REMOVED

Our domain has been registered for close to 20 years, we are a reputable company that has been running for over 20 years, I run all social media platforms, the site is built with Wordpress and is fully responsive. I have analytic's, webmaster tools etc etc. The site has all seo built in with on page seo and meta tags, page titles, h1 tags, keywords, page content, site content etc etc.

Then there is this other site:

REMOVED

This site has only been running for two years, it is not responsive, they run less social media that me, the site has less content than our site etc etc.

From what I have read google is not supposed to rank non responsive sites highly anymore, and the fact that from what I can make out our site is far superior this this site in every way, yet they still rank higher than us for long tail local key word searches such as:

REMOVED

Now for the life of me I can not figure out why they still rank higher than us, From everything ive read and all the research i have done our site should be above theirs in the organic search in google but they rank top every time.

Can someone please explain to me how this can be?

Is it an error from google?

Have I missed something?

Awaiting your response

Many thanks in Advance

Edited by chrishirst, 18 June 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:15 AM

The site has all seo built in with on page seo and meta tags, page titles, h1 tags, keywords, page content, site content etc etc.

So all the usual stuff that will probably result in getting down-valued

http://www.highranki...ight-places-316

Have I missed something?

Almost everything that is useful.

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

Start here:

http://www.highranki...s-for-new-seos/

#3 wavo

wavo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply but I don't think you are correct.

1. Without well written Meta tags, search viewers will not be drawn to click on your site link.

2. Without well written page titles, google will not know what each page is about, therefor not returning it for a specific topic that it is aimed at.

3. Without H1 tags google will not understand the page as well as it could.

4. Without doing keyword research and targeting each post and page to this long tail and short tail keywords, the likelihood of your page or post being picked up by google for a specific search relating to this term is non existent.

5. Without high quality Page content your users will back out of your site at the first attempt and this will result in a high bounce rate.

6. without high quality site content your site would be a 5 page jumble of useless mess.

I bet to differ that I have not missed anything you stated. I read your articles are they don't specify anything worthy at all and the things they do briefly cover I have done and continue to do on a daily basis.

My site does not need to rank highly in the world for specific keywords.

We are a small family run company that offers services locally as well as nationally but our seo only targets local.

You missed my point completely.

Why would this site: removed

rank better than our site removed

for long tail keywords, when by everything I have researched says that our site should rank higher than theirs?

Edited by Jill, 18 June 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

I'm sure there are plenty of phrases where your site gets more traffic than theirs. Stop looking at rankings for random words that people may or may not be using. And stop caring what your competitor may or may not be doing. Instead look at how you might grow the targeted traffic to your own site which is presumably what you really want. 

#5 wavo

wavo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Thankyou for your reply,

You are right, Our site ranks highly on every other localised keyword compared to theirs.

But then you see this is my problem. I am not fixated on this. but in the genre of Vehicle graphics and wrapping they rank higher than ours, but for the life of me I can not figure out why, Everything google states, says that we should rank higher that their site but yet we do not. This is what is baffling me. Hence why I asked have I missed something crucial (which I take it I haven't because we rank higher on every other service and product that both companies offer).

I am perfectly content with out site etc etc, I was just curious as to how this can be? Without being curious and asking questions I will never become better at my job.

But so Far every person I have asked has failed to be able to provide a reason to validate why they should be higher and its baffling to say the least.

I really want to learn more about this problem or is it just an error from google?

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

Just to clear up on possible misconception: at least for now, the downgrading for non-mobile friendly sites you mentioned only applies to mobile search results. A site will not be downgraded in desktop search for being non-mobile friendly. If you get a large percentage of your search traffic from mobile devices (specifically smartphones) it might have an effect on your traffic, but if most of your searches come from the desktop, it is at the moment largely a non-issue.

Second, rankings are an unreliable measure. If you're checking by searching in Google, your results are subject to personalization (yes, potentially even if you're not logged in to a Google account). Even if you're not using personalized search, chances are many of the people who are running searches for your products/services are (even if they don't realize it). This means that whatever search results you see will not necessarily reflect the search results that the majority of others will see. If you're checking rankings in a third-party tool, they are not Google, so they do not have access to Google's ranking algorithm, and will be subject to the same issues that make rankings unreliable when searching Google directly.

Either way, rankings are a best a "rough guide" and certainly nothing to obsess over. Not even if your favorite, bestest, most valuable keyword is at stake.

The more important thing to be concerned with is traffic. Specifically, targeted traffic -- that is, visitors who are actually interested in what you offer. That's the only thing that's going to do your business any good. You can't pay your bills with printouts of of your rankings or with website traffic reports. You need actual revenue to stay in business, which comes from getting more of that targeted traffic (not just traffic in general) and then doing the best job you can of converting those visitors into customers.

And since you can't know with reliability what sort of targeted traffic your competitors are getting, or how well they're converting their visitors, the only thing that makes sense is to focus on getting the most, best targeted traffic you can, and making the most of your traffic, and stop wasting time worrying about what everybody else might or might not be doing.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

Numbered Items:
1. Nope. The meta description content (only one meta element) MIGHT be shown in the results, and it MIGHT even be shown intact and MIGHT generate a click always assuming you have "optimised" the pages to the point 

2 and 3 Very, very, VERY wrong.

4 & 5 Could NOT be farther from the truth, had you made those "rules" up yourself.

And sorry, but 6. Is just too silly to even comment on.

I bet to differ that I have not missed anything you stated. I read your articles are they don't specify anything worthy at all and the things they do briefly cover I have done and continue to do on a daily basis.

You may think so: However the problem is; This comment;

"Why would this site: removed rank better than our site removed for long tail keywords, when by everything I have researched says that our site should rank higher than theirs?"

and this one;

"Why would this site: removed rank better than our site removed"

Says the EXACT opposite. It seems that you have completely bought into the, do 'A', 'B' & 'C' and success is bound to follow SEO formula, and 'rankings' for your "site" (home page) is what matters rather than every individual URL (pages). 

We are a small family run company that offers services locally as well as nationally but our seo only targets local.

Actually if you are thinking that "SEO" is going to work magic for "local", man are way off target.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

From what I have read google is not supposed to rank non responsive sites highly anymore...

Just to clear up on possible misconception: at least for now, the downgrading for non-mobile friendly sites you mentioned only applies to mobile search results. A site will not be downgraded in desktop search for being non-mobile friendly. If you get a large percentage of your search traffic from mobile devices (specifically smartphones) it might have an effect on your traffic, but if most of your searches come from the desktop, it is at the moment largely a non-issue.

To add to Torka's point, it's not necessarily even about providing a responsive site. The important thing is that Google determine that you provide a good user experience to people accessing the site (actually, each individual page, judged separately) on a mobile device. Having a responsive site is one way to accomplish that, but it's not the only way.

Edited by qwerty, 19 June 2015 - 07:52 AM.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:53 AM

Good point, Qwerty! I didn't make it clear the mobile-friendly algorithm is applied on a page-by-page basis, not site-wide. And, as you say, "mobile friendly" is not necessarily the same as "responsive." There are many ways to make a page "mobile friendly" that don't involve responsive design.

@wavo: there are several hundred ranking factors that Google's base algorithm takes into account, and Google makes changes to this core algorithm at the rate of more than one a day (somewhere in the neighborhood of 400+ times a year). While the underlying mathematics of the algorithm are probably relatively straightforward (at least to a mathematician ;) ), the relationship among all these factors is complex and fluid. You cannot ever simply look at one factor -- or even a handful of factors -- and "know" which page will rank higher. If you're up for it, you might want to do some reading on chaos theory to gain an understanding of both how search rankings work and why it's a futile exercise trying to determine which specific factors resulted in an observed search result.

The best you can do is make sure your pages are the best they can be, and that you've done what you can do to market your site to your best abilities. Beyond that, local search optimization is a sub-specialty all its own. If your focus is on local, there are additional tactics beyond the standard global "SEO" activities that will help you in local search. For instance, make sure you've listed in local directories (including, but not limited to, Google and Bing), review sites, buyers guides, community resources, etc. And make sure every page of your site has the business's local contact information on it.

There are a number of good online resources with specific information about optimizing for local search. In fact, if you Google the phrase optimizing for local search you will find a whole slew of them. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.