• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Blog Post For May Years That Copied Content From Reputable Sources

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hello HR forum people, this is my first topic post and a question I hope will be answered.

I have a client who has a site that was produced 15 years ago...it looks it and there is many coding errors etc..

The client owns a manufacturing company that makes air purification units, he is 82 years old and has been taken advantage of by what he called a "black magic" SEO consultant.

Enter me...

Given the budget and time constraint and many other factors I decided to use Shopify as an e-commerce solution since their website gets a good amount of people each day and there is no shopping cart or lead generation in place.

The website has no basic seo tactics whatsoever...pages are titled the same, there is much duplicate...and so on...

I will be cleaning up the site and it already has a decent domain value all things considered...

They have a blog for the last 5 years on blogger and other 3rd party sites...there is a good amount of traffic...in time I will know if it is truly relevant traffic but for the time being that information is up in the air. They do not have any analytics in place but I will add these...and much of the info I have is taken from server logs

Question:

The blogs on blogger for example get about 1,000+ views a day and much of this lands on the site...the blogs are verbatim copies... the very words used in press releases and other trusted sources...the source is always mentioned as a link

1) Do I leave the blog as is and monitor ranking, traffic etc.

2) do I identify the most recent and valuable blogs on blogger and 301 them to the redesigned site and rewrite them making sure that on page seo is done properly?

3) do I close the blogger site and start fresh?

Thanks for the time and effort taken to answer this, it is greatly appreciated...

• akibul likes this

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

2) do I identify the most recent and valuable blogs on blogger and 301 them to the redesigned site and rewrite them making sure that on page seo is done properly?

If you could, but is that even possible on blogger.com?

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

The blogs on blogger for example get about 1,000+ views a day 

Why would you even THINK of removing it??

The question SHOULD be, "How can conversions be improved using traffic"?

and rewrite them making sure that on page seo is done properly?

Seems to me those pages are doing perfectly well on their own, without any interference from a "well meaning", but meddling "SEO".

#4 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:22 PM

Why would you even THINK of removing it??

The question SHOULD be, "How can conversions be improved using traffic"?

Seems to me those pages are doing perfectly well on their own, without any interference from a "well meaning", but meddling "SEO".

Chrishirst, I value your reply because after reading several posts it is of obvious note that you are very direct with your responses and they hold value. I am curious about your use of quotes in this reply. I get the "well meaning" one... my intentions are indeed well meaning but they would be not so well meaning if I cut a favorable source of traffic. Thus the use of quotes to make a clever point. Got it. Is it overly cumbersome to worry today about the possibility that copying each and every blog post will not one day result in a penalty?

Then there are the quotes around the word meddling "SEO". In this case you did not put your quotes around "meddling" but rather around the term SEO...I assume you are referring to me and I also agree it is best not to meddle. So when, in your eyes, would I earn the removal of said quotes around the SEO? When I care more about traffic than the future? Or perhaps I am lacking a certain dryness and cynicism? Either way, I love this forum, its real. I despise spam in many ways including having a blog that copies...even if it brings in traffic. No meddling though ;)

#5 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

If you could, but is that even possible on blogger.com?

It isnt possible anymore but was years ago. I forgot this fact and appreciate the reminder.

• Jill likes this

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

The problem is that there are very many people much like yourself that have learnt a bit about  SEO from reading the articles and blogs of many well known pundits who claim to "experts", and unfortunately have therefore have learnt just enough to be dangerous.

Your idea of rewriting something that apparently is self-evident of being pretty  successful, because it 'wasn't done with "SEO" in mind' speaks volumes of how naive you are, and you are looking at optimising from the completely wrong viewpoint. The fact of getting 1,000 visitors a day from somewhere or other, is a case for saying "What is RIGHT about this document that I should learn and emulate".

Sure; verbatim copying and republishing is a futile exercise, with or without "SEO in mind"; However copying and adding additional commentary or an alternative viewpoint is journalism, and is what users want to see read and discuss, and if users want see it, read it and talk about it, ... search engines REALLY DO WANT to show it to their users.

It's all very well for the SEO pundits to blather on about "keyword density", heading 'tags', meta 'tags' and worst of all alt 'tags' how many keywords in a title, hey, they even get "keywords" wrong for the most part. The composite word of "keywords" is the name of a meta element, and what should be used are two separate words of 'key' (as in important) and words. But, while getting the page structure 'right' is a good idea, it is far less important than making the document textual content 'flow' naturally for the readers. 

It seems from your initial post that you have fallen for the "SEO magic formula" approach, when in actuality it is much simpler than that and should come naturally and easily to anyone who loves the language that they, and countless thousands of others speak and read every day of their life.

YOU are the target of your optimisation, and if you like what you see, why take "advice" from some semi-automated SEO "tool" (the word 'tool', used in the pejorative sense,  also applies to some of the "experts").

Finally:

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

#7 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

chrishirst -

I have read the article you posted from search engine land, it was one of the earliest things I read. I dont want to just spew back what I read and I am in accord with your view on pundits. It takes experience and I am on that road. I know the bottom line counts...I know a blog with traffic is good and the next step is to make certain these people convert or become customers etc...

(quote seems to be taking the entire post....so I copied a quote that you said here)

chrishirst said : Sure; verbatim copying and republishing is a futile exercise, with or without "SEO in mind"; However copying and adding additional commentary or an alternative viewpoint is journalism, and is what users want to see read and discuss, and if users want see it, read it and talk about it, ... search engines REALLY DO WANT to show it to their users.

My concern was that if not today but perhaps in the future that having a blog for 5 years now, before I got there, the content is ONLY copied and it is word for word but the source is mentioned always...can this possibly be detrimental in the future in any way? The only reason I asked if I should rewrite a chunk of the most recent and/or valuable posts was because I fear it may possibly cause damage at a later date, to which I do not know for certain and so I asked and am asking again.

I wanted advice, so I asked in this forum if rewriting was a good idea merely because I wanted to add more value. I understand that I can copy and a source and add my own value. But does that also mean copy word for word as has been done the source content and then add my commentary or suggestion at the end of the article and a link to our site? I had that in mind already.

The company blog is on blogger. I plan to leave it as is and continue as has been done before me to post copied content that is indeed generating traffic and is thus valuable and mention the source as always - from now on to add my own commentary and link it to an appropriate page on the site.... Is it futile to add a blog to the company site itself with fresh and differing content from the blogger blog? I have had been given suggestions to 301 the blogger blog to the company website blog but not even sure this is possible, is it? And should I do this and how is it done because it seems to me I can no longer do this?

Thank you for your replies, your information and time is much appreciated and not taken for granted. Can you suggest sources to improve my knowledge in SEO or inbound marketing or whatever term it is today? I know of Moz and search engine land etc...I have read art of seo and found that to be an amazing book. Any more suggestions? Thanks!

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

My concern was that if not today but perhaps in the future that having a blog for 5 years now, before I got there, the content is ONLY copied and it is word for word but the source is mentioned always...can this possibly be detrimental in the future in any way? The only reason I asked if I should rewrite a chunk of the most recent and/or valuable posts was because I fear it may possibly cause damage at a later date, to which I do not know for certain and so I asked and am asking again.

Probably not,  there is no global "this is copied so it's bad" and if it has been around for five years with no evident deleterious effects and received no warnings to the Google account for the 'blog', apply the if it ain't broke, don't fix it principle.

#9 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

Much obliged. Last questions, please if possible:

1) I will monitor the blogger blog. Is it a bad idea to start a fresh blog on the company site with separate blog ideas concurrent to the blogger blog?

2) Can I 301 the blogger blog to the company website's blog instead / as well? 

3) Aside from the obvious forums and just plain gaining experience, can you suggest one great book that you felt was

helpful to improve your SEO skills? Thanks again Chrishirst, very much.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:20 AM

3) Aside from the obvious forums and just plain gaining experience, can you suggest one great book that you felt was
helpful to improve your SEO skills?

Vanessa Fox - Marketing in the age of Google

And you probably should forget about or at least be very wary of the "obvious forums" as most of them are populated by the "snake oil salesman" type of marketer with a "SEO" product to sell you. HR is a little different as none of the active members are trying to sell you anything or hoping to get you as a client.

• AvyGuttman likes this

#11 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

Actually HR is far different, there is no spam and no way to spam -as far as I can see. As always, thanks for the repy and advice, I hope some day to be of service to you. You are a good man as are the others who offer their advice with no other intention other than enriching other people. I really hope you will have patience with me as I intend to stick around and learn from you. Have a really nice day.

• Jill likes this

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:48 AM

Be careful with books about SEO, they're not generally going to be all that up to date.

• AvyGuttman likes this

#13 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

Be careful with books about SEO, they're not generally going to be all that up to date.

Of course! The most thorough book I have read was art of seo...there is a new version coming out august 25.

Is this a good book and are there others as good or that you would suggest?... More in the technical and theoretical teachings of SEO as opposed to the same marketing and business theory that gets repeated so often. Any suggestions on how to improve my knowledge? Thanks again!

Edited by AvyGuttman, 29 May 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Just read the articles linked to in the sidebar here that says "More SEO Content" everything else is crap (in my not so humble opinion!).

#15 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

You warned me that books aren't going to be up to date...I am aware but the seo content you are referring me to on this site...it seems pretty dated as well. Any other suggestions? I will still read some articles, they do seem very well written and quite interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.