• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Banners Just Below The Fold

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

Hi

Looking over some offers to place 1 big or 2 small banners on our homepage just below the fold to a reputable site in an exact niche market.

The links will of course be nofollowed and open in a new tab but was just wondering if there are any algo's that could penalise us.

Think there is and above the fold one. Correct?

Thanks Dan

• Vimcentkinc likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:29 AM

If it is reputable why would your site be 'penalised'??

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

You can place whatever ads you want, where ever you want on your own site. It's your site, after all. Beyond that, by "nofollowing" the links, you're doing exactly what Google says to do with paid links.

Where ever you read that "information" that there's some sort of "above the fold" ad penalty? Either you misunderstood what they were saying, or they're seriously misinformed and you should stop taking any advice from them. Come to think if it, if they're advising you there's any penalty at all for putting nofollowed direct placement ads on your own site -- regardless of where you place them -- you should stop taking their advice.

Yes, I suppose it's possible to have too many ads plastered all over a site, and that could lead to all sorts of problems -- not the least of which would be poor user experience. But that doesn't sound at all like what you're talking about here.

If you have a truly reputable site approaching you offering to pay you to put a banner or two on your site, then evaluate that offer on its own merits, and what effect (if any) you think placing outside ads might have on your own conversions. Don't waste your time fretting over nonexistent Google penalties.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Torka, there was an above the fold ad penalty some time ago (before I retired). It was affecting pages where most of the above the fold real estate on a page was ads rather than content.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, I know there were penalties for "over-use" of advertising (and I suspect it was not just for above the fold, although that would be the real estate that would get the most attention). A page that's nothing but ads (or even 80-90% ads) can't reasonably expect to rank well for anything. It's just not useful content. That's what I was alluding to when I talked about having "too many ads plastered all over a site." But that doesn't sound like what he's talking about here. A penalty for running a single ad above the fold? That's just crazy talk, IMO. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Jill likes this

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

I still put ads above the fold on some sites, even near the top of the page.  No problems.  It just comes down to how much it affects the user experience.

#7 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.