• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Check Canonicalisation / Duplicate Content

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dilby

dilby

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hi all - wondering if someone could point me in the right direction...

I run an online store (shopify) and use raventools online software to check my site. Currently it (and essentially any seo tool) is telling me I have a stack of duplicate content thanks to the fact that I have a lot of size/brand/colour tags etc that will eventually point you to the same product. 
I have therefore used the canonical tag but I'm lost to actually check if it's working as it should - is there a way to see what Google actually crawls and what url's it associates with the canonical one etc?

Thanks!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

The 'tool' you are using is a load of DANGEROUS garbage and you should STOP using it IMMEDIATELY.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:31 AM

I disagree with Chris on that. But I'm not sure if there's a eay to check your canonicals. Just set them up and don't worry about it. 

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

There's probably a way to set up Screaming Frog to do this, but I wouldn't be able to give you instructions off the top of my head. Besides, I don't know if you have access to it (I currently don't, sadly).

But I can tell you how to do it semi-manually. Take each set of pages that are reported as duplicate and check to make sure that every member of each set points to a single page as canonical. Just organize it by groups of pages in a spreadsheet and go through each one. I don't know how many such sets you've got, but work your way through it a little at a time, making sure that, in a given set, every page has a rel-canonical tag and you don't have any pages that declare a different page to be canonical.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:53 AM

I still think that Google's indexing system CAN tell the difference between duplication that is simply a matter of fact of selling a range of products that have colour changes, and duplication that is "just because you can".

The idea of the 'rel="canonical" is to was assist with identical content served from multiple URL where a server redirect was impossible.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

I would just look at what Webmaster Tools says is duplicate content and ignore the SEO tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.