• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Dynamic Url's And Title Tags

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Janebo

Janebo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hello,

I would like to thank all ahead of time for reading this post.  I have looked for about three days for answers and haven't found them.  It seems like the solution to this would've been very easy to find.  I'm sure of it, but I just can't see it.

Anyways, we have a business directory type site in production.  I am trying to figure out how to get the url's and the seo title tags (tabs at the top of the browsers) to show the correct information.  The site is being put together in WordPress and we have utilized a theme.  At this time the categories are the types of businesses.  Not sure if I should change it for the categories to be the states/cities. I'll try to concisely and briefly explain what we are wanting.

If you were to look for auto parts in dover, delaware, the resulting url should be something like:  www.yoursite.com/us/de/dover/auto-parts/ and the tag/tab at the top should be similar:  Auto Parts | Dover, DE.  When you choose a particular company to look at, the url should be:  www.yoursite.com/us/de/dover/auto-parts/john-does-auto-parts-store and the tag/tab should be similar like:  John Doe's Auto Parts Store | Dover | DE | Your Site Name.

I have downloaded an seo plugin and know that I am able to complete the seo title within individual pages because of said plugin and there are the titles/metas in the plugin itself and have it show up like we want.  I do not want to do this a million + times.  It has to pull the url and the seo tag/tab dynamically. 

That is where the problem is.  I know a little coding, but not enough to figure this out.  Is it more of a DB issue?  Should the categories mentioned above be utilized for the location instead of type of business?  Is there a certain style of a variable that I can put into the titles/meta fields to make it pull dynamically?  I am utterly at a loss and need direction. 

I appreciate any and all assistance that you guys can give.

Thank you,

Janebo

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:59 AM

Are you sure you want to do that? The URLs should be the same for any piece of content, which is probably why WP won't allow you to make them different. 

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:11 AM

What is a  "seo tag/tab" ????

#4 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

What is a  "seo tag/tab" ????

I think for seo tag he means title element (or title tag) and seo tab probably refers to the fact that the title element shows up on the browser tab. I am beginning to comprehend the frustration with answering questions in a forum.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

Things like this are all part and parcel of the total misinformation that surrounds SEO, people, "experts" usually decide to invent names probably to aid them in confusing marks  erm, potential customers.

If it is the title element (you were right first off), they claim it is THE most important thing in the document, usually backed up with exactly how many "header tags" you need (they mean 'heading' elements) and how many 'key' words you need to cram in to the title.

Now while the value of the title element text is significant for several points, being the most important element goes back to last century when including one 'key' word in the title could make the difference between 'ranking' or not. But things have moved on since then, 'ranking' is no longer what it was, the title element weighting has changed and the old "SEO in all the right places" is more likely to hinder than help, particularly with matching  'key' word titles and 'key' word URLs.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

WordPress is a funny CMS.  It comes with two basic kinds of URLs: blog posts and static pages.

The blog posts are not really handled according to hierarchical needs.  In fact, if you introduce sub-categories you'll create duplicate content across the site.  The worst thing about this this kind of duplicate content is that it creates a horrible user experience and maybe adds a little bit of bloat to the site (not much).

The static pages don't have categories.  They can be organized in a hierarchical tree, though, by assigning "parent" pages to newly created pages.  This is the better solution for organizing a large hierarchical site, but the process is still very tedious because WordPress does not have a good static page management interface.

I have occasionally worked on client sites that use plugins to make the page interface more user-friendly but I was not really fond of them.  I don't recall any off the top of my head, but you want a plugin that uses drag-and-drop page management and which allows you to edit page titles and URLs without reloading an entire list of pages all the time.

I would also want to be able to see more than 20 pages at a time.

It might be better to build the site in an XML file that you upload/import into WordPress.  You can use the WordPress Importer plugin to do that pretty easily.  Just install the plugin, create a few example pages on the site, and then use it to create an EXPORT file you download.  Use that export file as a guide for creating all the page definitions you need in a new XML file.

You can make as many mistakes as you need to this way, because you just fix them in the XML file, delete and recreate the database, and then upload the XML file again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.