• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Condense A Title Tag

Best Answer chrishirst , 07 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

I have a title tag that has a total of 140 characters, which is way to long. It looks like this:

No, it's not too long, as there is no 'length' for titles, maximum or minimum. There is only damn it! That's horribly spammy and ugly or that reads okay.

Unfortunately BOTH your ideas fall into the first category.

Start here >> http://www.highranki...s-for-new-seos/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dpuk44

dpuk44

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

I have a title tag that has a total of 140 characters, which is way to long. It looks like this:

Royal Maid Service - cleaning services | house cleaning | maids | home cleaning | housekeeper | cleaning company | Delray Beach | Boca Raton

I am trying to condense this trying to keep the same keywords. I have managed to get it down to 93 characters, It looks like this:

Royal Maid Service - home & house cleaning services | housekeeper | Delray Beach | Boca Raton

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:51 AM   Best Answer

No, it's not too long, as there is no 'length' for titles, maximum or minimum. There is only damn it! That's horribly spammy and ugly or that reads okay.

Unfortunately BOTH your ideas fall into the first category.

Start here >> http://www.highranki...s-for-new-seos/

• dpuk44 likes this

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Your title tag (which should be different for each page of the site) is likely going to be what people see when that page appears in the search results. As such, it needs to be written to entice visitors to click through. A string of keywords likely won't do that. :)

To start with, is the name of the company such a recognizable brand that it needs to be first? Personally, I tend to put the company name last, because that's often the last thing the visitor actually cares about, but that isn't a hard-and-fast rule. If the main thing that will pique searchers' interest is the company name, by all means put it first. Otherwise, I'd suggest focusing more on what potential visitors might be looking for.

It may be useful to approach it the same way you would writing a pay-per-click ad. In both cases, you have a limited space to get your point across. In both cases the goal is to get the visitor to click through. In both cases it's probably helpful to include keywords, but simply pushing out a string of "keyword | keyword | keyword" probably isn't going to get the job done. It doesn't make you stand out from the competition. There's nothing in there to make your cleaning company any more desirable than any other. Honestly, it's boring.

Think about searchers' pain points.Use the title to tell them, in just a few words, what benefit(s) you bring to the table that nobody else can. Intrigue them. Interest them. Entice them.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• dpuk44 likes this

#4 dpuk44

dpuk44

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Torka,

Really appreciate the advice.

Thanks again!