• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

A Little Bit Of Everything - Google Vs Bing, International Domains And

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TomPumford

TomPumford

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:51 AM

Hi there, first off lets start by saying thank you for the reponses posted to this questions. I have been quite varied in my question but wanted to sum up my current looming questions in a big to help other people in the same boat.

Ok so I am currently a wedding photographer based in the UK. I rank very well in google for the search term 'Destination Wedding Photographers' but are looking for a little bit of advice moving forward.

So lets begin -

Question 1 - How important in my case is the .co.uk domain. My current competition in the UK for 'Destination Wedding Photographers' ranks across Google.com and other international Googles however my own site is pretty much nowhere! Any ideas on how to improve this or is the main factor the domain?

Question 2 - Bing... Can somebody please give me some advice when ranking in bing, in all of my sites that I have eveyr created I have had great success in google but have always ranked very poorly in BING. I understand they user a different method of ranking but any tips on how to improve my current site for success would be greatly appreciated. i have taken the normal steps of setting up webmaster accounts etc

Question 3 - Wordpress Multisite. I have recently began a project where a wedding photographer would join up and I would offer web design and marketing advice to his/her site. The sites would automatically become part of a wordpress multisite set up I have now. Does anybody have any experience on the affect of multisite on seo rankings?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by torka, 06 May 2015 - 08:45 AM.
removed link

• PamrickMab likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

SEO rankings mean nothing at all

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

Does anybody have any experience on the affect of multisite on seo rankings?

Absolutely NONE at all. If they did Wordpress.com would be at the very top of EVERY search result for  EVERY search query that anybody made.

Chris; Why is that??  I hear you cry.

Why, it's because Wordpress.com is 'powered by'  Wordpress ' Multi-site' I reply.

Memory just kicked in.

http://www.highranki...rent-locations/

• TomPumford likes this

#3 TomPumford

TomPumford

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for your response Chris!

Sorry I was meaning a negative rather than positive aka, if I add these sites to my multisite will they be at a disadvantage? I guess not based on your response????

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:04 AM

To search engines every single URL is a separate entity. they don't index 'sites', only URLs. They don't list 'sites', they list URLs. To search engines the entire Internet is one huge interconnected 'website'.

Search engine 'understand' or define a website as "A collection of URLs connected by a common navigation, not as humans see it, which is "A collection of pages on a common domain name".

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

I run multiple domains with WordPress multisite installed.  On some of these domains I allow other people to set up blogs (it's invitation-only).  They are all differentiated sites and most of them seem to do okay in the search results.  I have only had a few complaints about "lack of visibility" (I did not promise these people I would promote the sites).  It comes down to how well you produce the site and earn recognition for it.

On some of my most popular personal sites I also run multisite networks.  Some of the best-performing sections are the subdomains.  Again, it comes down to what you publish there and how much recognition you earn for it.  So far the search engines have not had any problems with my subdomains.

I would not worry about the subdomains on the wedding photography site as long as each photographer creates his/her own unique experience for visitors.  If you use the same theme and very similar content you might trigger some algorithmic filters that are looking for signals of unique value.

The idea of the "Website" is rather vaguely defined.  You can have a site that stretches across multiple domain names, that exists only within a single subfolder, or that is a single page.  Why is it a "site"?  Because it somehow constitutes a "whole user experience" that is distinct from the rest of the Web.

You just have to know where to differentiate between one site and the next (so that people understand these are different sites) and how to create valuable experiences for people.  Don't offer a service to photographers where they all get cookie-cutter Websites.  Let them express their personal passions and interests.  That is easy to do with WordPress multisite because you can install multiple themes and plugins and let each subdomain choose its own combinations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.