• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Desktop Or Mobile

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dry4ng

dry4ng

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hi. I have a question about mobile crawlers. We have two sites:

1. www — with full content, not mobile friendly.
2. m — a single page app with few public pages and most pages in private are. It's mobile friendly but mostly not crawlable.

Should I redirect mobile crawlers from www to the m site? Assuming it's content is completely different from the desktop site.

What is worse having a not mobile friendly site. Or to have mobile and desktop sites completely different?

Edited by dry4ng, 28 April 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Why not just create a real mobile version via a special css template?

#3 dry4ng

dry4ng

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:47 PM

We're in the process of redesigning from scratch. It will be an adaptive design. However it might take up to 6 months from now to release. Meanwhile I'm looking for the best option with current setup.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

Let the crawlers figure it out for themselves. They have been doing this for a long time. What changed on April 21 had nothing to do with how Google crawls the Web. They can usually tell the difference between a mobile-friendly page and a desktop-only page, unless you use really, really bad markup.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

You don't need redirects, but if a pair of mobile and desktop pages each serve the same purpose for different devices, it would be worthwhile to set up switchboard tags between them. That will send a signal to crawlers that the desktop page is canonical, but there's an alternate version of that page intended for mobile users.

Of course, if the pages are completely different, it would be deceptive to set up switchboard tags, but I have to assume that at least your two home pages have enough in common that this is worth doing.

#6 dry4ng

dry4ng

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

Desktop site have information about company and services. As well as private area for registered clients.

Mobile site have only login/register page. It's main purpose is for easier usage of services on mobile devices.

There is an option to switch from Mobile to Desktop site. But not vice-versa.

I think we will leave as is for now. And wait for the release of an adaptive design.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.