• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Is My International Seo Strategy Sound?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

After doing SEO for a USA software client for 8 years they want to move into 4 other countries that we have identified as having great potential for them: Australia, UK, Germany and the Netherlands. (They already do trade shows in these countries).

Based on my international SEO research I have come up with a detailed spreadsheet which I've summarized down to bullet points below.

Can anyone confirm if I've covered everything necessary, left out anything essential, or got anything wrong?

Here’s a brief summary of action items, not necessarily in this order:

1. Purchase the relevant ccTLDs.

2. Do competitor research for each country. Also research cultural differences in approach to business, local terminology/keywords, currency, and other country-specific peculiarities.

3. Plan and map content for each site, taking into account cultural preferences. eg: Requesting contact via phone vs. contact forms.

4. Hire experienced translators/writers who are also familiar with local terminology for each country.

5. Put appropriate staff members in place to handle leads in German and Dutch.

6. Buy hosting. It can, but does not have to be on local country servers as this comes with some disadvantages like differences in time zones, or communicating with hosting companies that do not speak English.

7. Do on-page SEO: unique Meta Titles and Descriptions for each page, write visitor-friendly content using local terminology/keywords. Where appropriate, use local imagery.

8. Have local contact details present on each site.

9. Include country and language code in the html element:  <html lang="en-AU">  <html lang="en-AU">

10. Set up separate Google Analytics and WMT accounts for each domain.

11. Obtain some inbound links within each country from relevant/useful vertical directories, personal connections with local vendors, local software reviewers and our trade show hosts.

12. Link to some local content that is useful to our visitors.

13. Do local press releases to announce our service locally.

Opinions or advice appreciated - thanks,
Carolyn

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

You have to feel confident in your own plan. If you are not sure about something it's probably better not to include that recommendation. If you're looking for advice on what else to do, I would say you want to focus on what you can do first and then figure out the next step later.

It comes down to how well you execute and follow through on what you think is best.
  • Jill and Say Yebo like this

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

You have to feel confident in your own plan. If you are not sure about something it's probably better not to include that recommendation.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm still at the beginning of the learning curve as far as international SEO goes, and I appreciate my client giving me an opportunity to move forward with them in this venture. But I haven't yet developed the confidence that I imagine I'll gain as I go along. So I was hoping for a second opinion on any of my points.

As with local SEO, I'll take the approach that if it makes good sense for visitors it will probably make sense for search engines too, but if I've made a suggestion that someone else knows to be 'just wrong', I'd sooner find out now than later.

Thanks,

Carolyn

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

One small point: You talk about possible problems of "communicating with hosting companies that do not speak English". If you don't have in-house German or Dutch speakers, how are you going to deal with queries from potential customers wh don't speak English? By all means, employ local sales people to follow up leads, but you will also need people to deal with routine questions - not to mention complaints.

Mike

• Say Yebo likes this

#5 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

If you don't have in-house German or Dutch speakers, how are you going to deal with queries from potential customers who don't speak English? 

Good point Mike, thanks. I'll raise this issue in the staffing discussion.

Edited by Say Yebo, 28 April 2015 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.