• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Loosing Ranking By Internationalizing Website

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AndresH

AndresH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

Dear all,

My site is in spanish and most visitors come from here, Argentina. 10 days ago I added html code to identify the language of the visitors in order to switch to the matching language pages, so visitors with spanish language remain in the main page and visitors with english were redirected to an english version of the page.

Yesterday I noted that I completely lost the ranking that I had before the change. For some combinations of search terms, I was the top one before of this. Doing some tests I noted that Google robots indexed my page in english, but not in spanish.

So, I reversed that html code to be the same as before the disaster. And I asked Google to reindex my website using Google Webmasters tool.

After that (10 hours ago), my site appears again in the search results, but not top on the page as it was before. On some combinations, it even went to the second page.

So my questions are: will the former status come back quickly ? Should I do something else ? Will I have to wait months or years to be at the again at the top ?

Thanks,

Andres

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Did you notice a corresponding drop in traffic along with the apparent drop in the rankings you saw?

--Torka :oldfogey:

#3 AndresH

AndresH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

Yes, I did. Traffic (and phone calls) are less than before. Google Adwords is saving part of the business.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

You may have to wait a few days to a couple of weeks before you can see improvement in your search results but this varies by site and circumstance.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Google Adwordsis saving part of the business.

That's what it is there for, and what you are experiencing is EXACTLY WHY no one should EVER rely on 'rankings' for brining in business.

#6 AndresH

AndresH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:05 PM

Hello chrishirst,

Some new customers come through AdWords, some from Google search, and some others knock the door.

If you suppress one of these three terms, the result is less than before, which is not good.

One of my duties is to do my best to bring work to me and my people. The ranking I obtained is something valuable in these terms.

So, what would be your point, could you clarify ?

Cheers,

Andres

• Jill likes this

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

The ranking I obtained is something valuable in these terms.

Of course, BUT as you have found out, it cannot and should not be relied upon, so traffic from Search should ALWAYS be considered as a bonus and not the main, or only source of traffic, simply because you never know when it might disappear overnight never to return. And it is not necessarily anything that you have done or something that has changed at the search engine.

An example is "webmaster" and web related topic forums. Around four years ago these were some of the busiest places around the Internet then suddenly, over the space of about three days,  they ALL lost 60% - 90% of their visitors from Search, and no one can explain why. I've looked a traffic graphs from several sites in those marketplaces and you could set them to the same scale,  overlay the graphs and you wouldn't know which graph applied to which site they are so close.

If you rely on Search traffic you are asking for this kind of thing to happen.

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

As Michael mentioned, sometimes it takes a little while for search engines to "catch up" with changes you make to your site. When you make a major change (which this was, even though it might seem to you like a little thing), it can take the search engines a period of time to re-evaluate your site and decide what to do about it now that it's different.

I'm thinking perhaps it's possible that Google, originating from the US, was only being shown the English version of the pages? Depending on how the code was written, I can see where that might be a possibility. Did the English language pages exist previously, or were they new creations when you instituted the language-switching code? If those pages didn't exist before, you may have added a significant amount of content to your site and may have directed Google to the new content instead of the old pages they previously had indexed -- which they might no longer be able to access.

That could cause a problem...

When you saw adverse results, putting things back was a natural reaction. It also means your site has (in the eyes of the search engines) changed again in a very short period. Give them a little more time to see what happens.

If you still want to offer English language pages, maybe make it an optional switch, allowing the user to select for themselves which language they'd like. I know here in the USA we have a lot of people whose browsers might be set to English (because that's the language they use most often for business) but who speak Spanish as a first language and would appreciate the option of viewing a page in Spanish instead. (And there might be English-speaking immigrants in Argentina who would love to be able to access an English language page...) Just a thought.

Fortunately, you have other sources of traffic in place -- very smart of you! I know it's frustrating and worrying. Google doesn't necessarily turn around overnight -- at least when it comes to bringing back traffic... for some reason, changes that take away traffic seem to happen in an instant! -- so you may just need to give it a little more time.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Jill likes this

#9 AndresH

AndresH

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hello Torka and Chrishirst,

Thank you very much for your answers.

Chrishirst:
you clarified very good your point, it is very interesting for me to know that. Thanks.

Torka:
Thank you for sharing this info, it is very educational.
Regarding this, as Google keeps track of how many clicks my site receives, I was wondering if I was on the top because these amounts were (in some way) bigger than the ones of the competitors. So, if these amounts have been reset, I should have to wait months or years to accumulate again. I would like to know your opinion regarding this.

Cheers,

Andres

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:25 AM

Regarding this, as Google keeps track of how many clicks my site receives

Only for Adwords charges and Adwords Quality Scoring for CTR when someone clicks through one of your adverts, and there it is per PAGE/URL not per site.

Google do NOT use Search Result CTR (Click Through Rate) as a "ranking signal", it is too unreliable and easy to inflate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.