• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Having Multiple Wordpress Websites On The Same Server With Same Produc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcseo

pcseo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:04 PM

I have one quick question. i have multiple websites on the same server with same theme and same products but with different urls by using url forwarding in wordpress.Is this hurt my SEO in future.If so what  are the possible ways to get not caught by duplicate content issues etc from google and bing.Please give me accurate and possible ways as i am concerining more on all the websites and also to ensure good and positive ranks from google.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:13 AM

Is this hurt my SEO in future 

Yes, it most certainly will.

If so what  are the possible ways to get not caught by duplicate content issues etc from google and bing.

There is ONLY one way to not "get caught"

Please give me accurate and possible ways as i am concerining more on all the websites and also to ensure good and positive ranks from google.

Do NOT have multiple sites with the same content then!

Edited by chrishirst, 17 April 2015 - 02:16 AM.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

If you're using redirects (I think that is what you mean by "URL forwarding") then there is no duplicate content. The content is only on one Website and you're redirecting the other sites to that one site. Is that correct? If so, you should be okay.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

Well, the OP did say the sites have different URLs, so that makes it sound like there might be a duplicate content issue.

@pcseo: what happens when someone types in each of the "different URLs" you mentioned? Are they served a different physical page on your server, or do all the URLs actually point to the same physical page? If they are different physical pages, is the content on them the same, or is it different? (I know you said they're all about the same product and use the same theme, but is the actual content identical on all of these sites, or different content that just happens to be about the same product?) And what happens with the address bar of the browser: does it continue to display the URL that was typed in, or does it change to show the URL of the physical page that's displayed?

If you really do have the same content that can be accessed through different URLs, then you may have a duplicate content issue. The only way to combat that is to stop serving the same content through different URLs.

If that's what is happening, I have to ask: why do you have multiple URLs / websites that serve the same content in the first place?

--Torka :oldfogey:

#5 pcseo

pcseo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:41 PM

Thanks a ton @
chrishirst, torka, Michael Martinez

The thing here is they are separate websites, for separate companies, that we are building sites for. The content wont be exactly the same, but they may be similar in theme,for example

TV Repairs in Northampton
TV Repairs in London

A lot of the products may be present and the same on the different websites, but they are actually different companies selling them.

It is just we are website design company, doing the websites for similar clients in the same industry, who all do more or less the same service and products so therefore would have similar sites regardless if we did them or not, the only difference I can see is we are using the same server, and a wordpress multisite setup.if  we were not doing the sites, they would still have similar sites etc, just probably on different servers.So that is the reason We have multiple URLs  which serves probably the sme content.

So now my question still google penalised me? IF so what are the other ways to get override the penality.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:57 AM

Stop thinking about getting penalised, to get a website really penalised the spam has to be fairly blatant and deliberate or blatant and stupid either works.

With the additional clarification the situation will most likely be that the documents on one, any or some of the sites will be filtered in general queries, but are possibly going to be shown for location specific queries, provided that the search user is in that specific location, or at least as close as the search engine can ascertain that their location is.
However, the above scenario DOES pre-suppose that the site document URLs are of sufficient 'value' to warrant showing them to Search users as relevant results.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

WordPress multisite works in one of two ways:
  • Each site is published on its own subdomain
  • Each site is published in a subfolder
If the sites do not link to each other they may be okay, assuming you include sufficient information about each company on their own sites to distinguish them. That means company name, address, telephone number, maybe email address, etc.

Being on the same server means nothing for SEO. It never has. Shared Web hosting and cloud-based Web hosting companies publish hundreds, sometimes thousands of sites from the same servers. Many people who have their own servers also publish many sites from the same server.

The search engines may or may not crowd all the hosts (subdomains) together into one domain tree but they don't have to. Just run a SITE: query for Wordpress.com, blog.com, and other WordPress hosting services and you will see that the subdomains are all treated as individual sites.

Still, you would be doing your clients a favor to give them each distinctive features that help their sites differentiate themselves from their "relatives".

NOTE: WordPress developers have begun laying the groundwork so that in a future update you will be able to use one installation to publish multiple sites on their own domains. There is no estimated time for when that capability will be active. My guess is that it may come as part of WordPress 5.0 but that is a long way off. They just released 4.2 this week.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 24 April 2015 - 09:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.