• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Should I Split My Site Into Two For Seo?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ArgyMatt

ArgyMatt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

We sell computer training and have two products - one for business users, and another for home users.  The difference between the two are the topics we cover - for example, the business one covers things that you would never use at home, and the home one covers things like online shopping, which you wouldnt find useful at work.

So our targeted customer for each product is totally different.

Would I have any advantages or disadvantages if I had two websites with their own domain names, rather than just one for both products?

Thank you!

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

Well, for starters, it's twice the administration to manage two separate websites. And more expense to market.

Is this a case of two entirely separate companies? Or one company with two products? If it's one company, why not brand on the company, and market both products through the same site? That not only saves you work, it exposes your products to a wider audience than you might otherwise be able to get.

See, the two user groups might not be as distinct as you think. Businesses are populated by, well, people -- who might (if they've been exposed to your training product at work) be interested in using your training at home. Maybe just to learn more for themselves, to help their kids or spouse learn more how to use the computer or possibly even to gain skills to make themselves qualified for a new job they'd like.

Conversely, people who have used your product at home and been pleased with the quality of instruction might be inclined to recommend your training for use at their place of work.

But that's less likely to happen if the two sites are totally separate and your business users don't know you offer a home product (and vice versa).

The  phone company I use here has both business and residential customers. They have a single website, but it's divided into two areas. If you go to the home page, you'll see sections for both business and residential customers. You simply choose which is applicable to you and click through to that section of the site. The thing is, by doing it that way, they're also subtly telling their home customers that this phone company can help them should they need services at their place of work. And they're getting their home services in front of the people who are accessing their site for their business. (People who may also need home phone services...)

Dell does something similar with their computers. I think if you look around you'll find lots of examples of companies that target two different markets but do it within a single domain. They brand on the company, and segment the products within the site.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.