• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Rebranding A Site, And Switching To .in Even Though It's Not For I

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marcturis

marcturis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:19 PM

I have a site that I'm rebranding with a new name, and thus I need a new domain.

It's an English site, and the #1 country is the US, but I want to use a .IN domain because it's a play on words to end with "spin" as "sp.in". I have traffic from India, but it's not significant, and it's not my main target by any means.

Since .in is for India, will that noticeably hurt my SEO for non-Indian traffic? It's a global site, but of course centered around English speaking countries. Given that 75% of my traffic is from SEO, I can't stand a big hit.

Is a .in domain a big mistake, instead of finding a .com?

Can I negate these negative effects?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

P.S. I plan to 401 redirect all my pages over to the equivalent page on the new site. If you have any more tips on redirecting a site I'm all ears. Thanks!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:28 AM

I have a site that I'm rebranding with a new name, and thus I need a new domain.

Why?? "Branding" does NOT depend on the domain name, so why would you want to disrupt your  existing traffic?

I plan to 401 redirect all my pages over to the equivalent page on the new site

That's probably not a great idea, a 401 status means "Unauthorised Access" sending a 301 status would be the correct one. :)

Given that 75% of my traffic is from SEO, I can't stand a big hit.

Then do something about it. More than 30 -35% is a VERY risky position to be in because Search results are NOT guaranteed forever and could disappear with no prior notice or warning.

Is a .in domain a big mistake, instead of finding a .com?

Can I negate these negative effects?

Yes it is, and yes you can. ...  Just don't do it. 

By all means use the "quirky" aspect of the .in domain in advertising and PR campaigns (that's PR as in Public Relations not the SGB PR by the way). But do NOT make it the primary hostname and risk your existing results, that are already in a precarious position, even further.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

What Chrishirst means is that you should redirect the .in domain to your current one, not the other way around. 

And I concur.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

Creating a brand requires promotion in as many channels as possible. When you limit the number of channels for promotion you need more time to build your brand value. Changing what you have now for a cool domain name is not really a brand-building move. The way that works is you launch a media blitz to tell everyone about the new domain and whatever changes in your business the domain name move reflects.

If you feel it will be easier to build brand value with a .in domain name than whatever you have now, you still need to develop some sort of promotion campaign to tell people about the brand (not the domain, but the brand).

What changes besides the domain name? If nothing then I'm inclined to agree with the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.