• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

We Should Start A Pool

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

And guess how many Webmasters will screw up their backlink profiles in six months by using that new Moz "spam score" to find and destroy good backlinks.

In case it's not clear, my opinion on the tool is that it is just more snake oil. Use at your own risk.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:08 AM

Uhm... can I vote for "virtually every one who uses the tool"? :ohno:  :swoon:  :propeller:

:whistle:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

So that's why someone posted (which I didn't let go through) about Majestic's spam spotter tool and "asked" if there was another way...

I knew they were up to something, but didn't know it was to promote this new one. Of course now Michael's just promoted it...

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

And Moz and Majestic will be laughing all the way to the bank!

Edited by chrishirst, 31 March 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

There is something to be said for the model of data analysis (I call it "Link Spectral Analysis" or "Link Spectography") but the underlying assumptions are completely flawed.

Moz is using its own idea of what a penalized domain is without confirmation from Google; and it's not comprehensive enough to represent all the kinds of penalties Google imposes anyway. And Moz also implies that its tools can infer which links pass value inside Google's index (they cannot).

We're going to be spending the next ten years listening to people say, "My Moz Spam Score is (only) blahblahblah. Is that (too high/low enough)?"

It's bad enough they all talk about Domain Authority as if THAT has something to do with search engine optimization. Chris, you're right. These guys will take money to the bank by the bag full because people just don't want to accept that there are no magic bullets.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

One of these tools must be the reason I got a request to remove a comment that was on one of my old articles. The comment wasn't spammy at all, and also the link was nofollow.

These tools are so dumb.

But dumber are those who request a perfectly fine link to be removed.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

Looks like it's started

#8 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

I had a trial to m-z. What I found was that the sites they pegged as spammy were indeed... but a closer inspection is needed to make the right decisions. Basing link removal solely on watching any single metric is futile. Your own intuition and inspection alone is more accurate and better for making decisions regarding spammy links. The metric is at best a general guide like most tools and metrics offered by 3rd parties. In the end, a closer look and human approach should always be implemented.

Edited by AvyGuttman, 05 September 2015 - 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.