• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Hello All - Big Serp Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thenomad

thenomad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

The website is REMOVED

I am a commercial photographer that works out of Dallas.

I have owned my domain for a number of years.  My site went up in 2006 .  In that time i have migrated from handspun html to joomla to WordPress. I have 301ed the old domain to this new one to make the url shorter

I have written every word of content myself, and while I am not a professional writer by any means I think I write "well enough"

My site has always WAY underperformed in the SERPS.  It is currently in freefall and I do not understand why. Actually it is performing far better in Google than Bing and that is not saying a whole lot .

My recent slap was over at a google sponsored forum where I was accused of keyword stuffing.  They seemed to have major problems with the number of appearances of "removed" and "City removed" and other descriptive words.  I explained that "removed" and commercial has different meanings as does "product photography" and "product"  as you see I just created 2 distinct instances of the word "photography". Therefore I am clearly keyword stuffing according to that logic and any hit I get in the rankings is warranted.     

I think that is a bit daft thinking but so be it . 

I have recently, as in the last week, attempted to clean-up the layout of the site to be more structured,  and to reduce the idea of stuffing (but not my content sounds weird to me).

There are some technical issues with the site like the head section being very busy and some speed issues.  What else can I do besides scrapping the whole thing and going back to the phone book would y'all recommend.  I would appreciate any help I can get . I very much need this thing to work at is best.

Thanks for the help

Edited by chrishirst, 29 March 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

My site has always WAY underperformed in the SERPS

Who cares about ranking (see any of the hundreds of threads on 'rankings'  for why), does it get referrals from search?

If so have they been affected?

"key" word stuffing,  If you had the words appearing 100 times or more in every possible place except the actual content, it could be a problem. A couple of dozen times in content etc, not so much.

What else can I do besides scrapping the whole thing and going back to the phone book would y'all recommend.

Stop scratching around for Google to send converting traffic and, ... go get your own traffic.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

The official Google forums are the abode of trolls and trouble-makers, most of whom are "Top Contributors". Ignore their insults.

However, photography Websites are notoriously difficult to optimize for search because the photographers are naturally more concerned about images than about what search engines index best: words.

You want to create a great gallery experience that showcases your talent but to be honest you should probably write a blog where you talk about what you shoot, why you shoot it, how you shoot it, etc.

Build a loyal following of people who look forward to your next shared experience and they will naturally help your site along over time.

#4 thenomad

thenomad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

I have had it with the groups over there.  The problem of the week is stuffing... it was no-follow every internal link .  I am not impressed by that lot.

I was told long ago that the internet was words not pictures.  If you go over to my site.  It is word heavy with lots of photography related stuff.  All original.  I just really need more traffic ... I'm working on it :)

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

I have had it with the groups over there.  The problem of the week is stuffing... it was no-follow every internal link .  I am not impressed by that lot.

The problem is that many of the "experts" at "Google Groups" answer queries simply because they think that being "associated with Google" endows them with 'super powers' and everyone will heed their words.

Even though they are probably even more clueless than the unfortunate wight who is seeking their assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.