• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Serp Title Showing Only My Brand Name, Not Custom One

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 theviewer1985

theviewer1985

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

Hi Guys

Firstly I am using wordpress and YOAST's seo plugin.

OK so I am focusing on SEO abit more and even though im 99% certain my custom titles have been correct on google for ages now I have done some big adjustments within my site and Yoasts settings.

One notable change I've made, relatable to this problem, is I have made the title / meta area in yoast BLANK. The reason I made them blank is because I have made a custom title on each individual page using the yoast box. (for those non yoast users, what I mean is, yoast has an area where you can effectivly automate your titles and descriptions by putting in certain code. But i leave it blank because i individually write a title on each page I create)

When I visit the page, the correct title does show in the tab and in the page source. But my issue is when I search for my site on google, only the brand name shows. I have tried searching multiple keywords for my site, and all display the same one word title. 

The title is about 50 characters.. I did just reduce it to 45 or so so that it didn't have the warning message - but regardless I doubt this is the problem.

Thanks

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

Google WILL change your "carefully chosen" title if they decide that is not a "good match" for the user query.

I've said this  before in a thread about this very same question. ... ... TAKE THE HINT, your titles are NOT as good as you think, OR you are searching link a "rank checker" and Google is playing with you.

#3 theviewer1985

theviewer1985

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Actually it wasn't that at all... I have, upon further investigation found out its because I was logged into google. Very wierd.. but I guess they personalise it.

Anyway, as soon as i logged out of google, my "carefully chosen" title worked. I guess my titles are as good as I think ;-)

Edited by theviewer1985, 27 March 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:20 AM

I guess my titles are as good as I think ;-)

Well, it means that, at least for the queries you're currently checking, Google's algo has determined that the titles you're using are relevant enough that they're not worth changing. But you have no way of knowing whether that's the case for every search run by every searcher. The real question is whether the titles you've put in place are in fact helping the site get click-throughs from the SERP, and one thing we can never know for certain (since we can't know what every searcher sees for every search) is whether that click-through rate is better or worse on those occasions when Google does display a different title. The best we can do is watch to see whether we get more organic traffic after we make a change.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here. As SEOs, we make judgment calls, and so does the algorithm. The judgment call that trumps both of them (while in part relying on them), is the one each searcher makes.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

but I guess they personalise it.

Not just yours, ... They 'personalise' everyone's, logged in or not.

Anyway, as soon as i logged out of google, my "carefully chosen" title worked. I guess my titles are as good as I think ;-)

Yeah, maybe, because when you search for your own pages, ... You subconsciously choose to search for words or phrases that you HAVE used on your pages so it's not really surprising when you do actually get the results you expect.

#6 theviewer1985

theviewer1985

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

Not just yours, ... They 'personalise' everyone's, logged in or not.

Yeah, maybe, because when you search for your own pages, ... You subconsciously choose to search for words or phrases that you HAVE used on your pages so it's not really surprising when you do actually get the results you expect.

I think my sarcasm went over your head when it came to my titles being as good as I think.

Anyway, I didn't subconsciously do anything. OBVIOUSLY I know that someone isn't going to search for "%BRAND NAME% %LOCATION% %TOWN%" since its to specific, but the fact that I was searching for that while logged into google and it returned a strange title and then searched for the very same query while logged out and it returned the correct title shows that my initial problem... the problem that I opened this thread about... was answered and solved by logging out of google. 

So I think its good to give that solution back on here, very clearly, for other people who suffer the same problem and search the forum.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

Anyway, I didn't subconsciously do anything

​How do you know you didn't? Subconsciously MEANS that you are not actually aware that you ARE doing something.
Just think about it, you actually WANT to find your site in the results. As you stated earlier.

when I search for my site on google

You are NOT looking for a product or service as a normal Google user would do, you want to find a specific URL in the results and the Google results algorithm 'knows' that you search for this a lot, and therefore may be a dissatisfied user and are not finding what you really want, so it tries to second guess what you are after and offers additional help by making titles and description snippets more "attractive" to what it  'thinks' you are looking for.

YOU are your own worst enemy by 'rank checking", you will NEVER learn anything useful by doing it, instead, Google's search results will simply get more and more skewed and odd to your point of view.

THIS is why clueless SEOs always complain about Google results being imprecise or irrelevant or 'full of spam'. It is their own stupid [expletive] fault for being a 'rank checker'.

I haven't "rank checked" a "key" word or phrase in well over TEN years, and my Google results are always, always pretty damned accurate for what I search for. 

And I don't need Google to tell me where my 'site' is, .... ... I already KNOW the URLs for my websites, for goodness sake if your memory is that bad, ... ... Put a 'short-cut' link on your desktop so you can go there without needing help from Google.

OBVIOUSLY I know that someone isn't going to search for "%BRAND NAME% %LOCATION% %TOWN%" since its to specific,

Really? And how do you categorically and emphatically know that?

People WILL and DO search for a highly SPECIFIC phrases if earlier results proved to be too vague or not precise enough.

Such searches  are known as "the long tail of search" and do NOT show up in "key" word research tools because the volume is to small, certainly YOU may not use them, but you are only looking for your site appearing for "money shot" phrases.

#8 theviewer1985

theviewer1985

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

To be honest... from the get go, you have been the worst help. I posted this same question on three forums... two of which helped. One of which guided me to the "log off google" answer. You however have twisted my words and tried your hardest to belittle me, but in doing so, are completely forgetting what my initial question was.

I don't care about ranking (in regards to this thread at least) all i care about is why my title showed as a brand name only. Funnily enough, logging out of google fixed it. Now, NOTHING you say will change that. It is a very simple answer to this topic. Don't try and over complicate it.

As for the subconsciously comment... i know fully well it wasn't subconscious because I entered my query fully aware of what I was doing and the outcome I was trying to create. I wasn't checking my rank - I was merely forcing my website to show up at the top of google so that i could see how it appears live.

This will be my last comment on the matter, and since you are a moderator of this forum, I won't be returning because you are setting a really bad first impression... SEOChat is much better.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

SEOChat is much better.

Just because it is what you expect does not make it right.

And knowing how to avoid something is NOT useful, understanding why it happens is. 

Edited by chrishirst, 28 March 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:32 PM

No, it just means you have much yet to learn about the ways of search engines. Your titles are optional to Google regardless of whether you are logged in or out.
  • chrishirst likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.