• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does Fluent/mother Tongue English Grammar Content Really Matters In Se

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cheezcarls

cheezcarls

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:18 AM

Hello guys!

First of all, I am not really fluent in English language, as I am from the Philippines. In other words, my English grammar is not really that good after all. Let's say if I have published an original content of mine in which the English is not accurate at all. Do you think the English grammar in my content will affect my SERP rankings? Or it doesn't matter as long it is original content?

Thanks!

Jeff

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

No!

But it may matter to users

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

Do you think the English grammar in my content will affect my SERP rankings? 

I would say that yes, it could affect it.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

I agree with both Chris and Jill.  Grammar is really not the issue.  Most if not all Web content contains grammatical or spelling errors or unusual idiom.  What it comes down to is how useful and informative your content is.  People and search engines can overlook a lot of things when the content stands out for itself.

Being grammatically correct doesn't guarantee anything is useful and is only marginally helpful in making something seem useful.

Wikipedia is one of the worst-written Websites around.  Most of its English-language articles trash the rules of grammar.  People still link to it.  Search engines still show it above far better sites.

Then again, if your grammar is so bad that your intent is not clear the search engine may struggle to find good placements for your copy.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 21 March 2015 - 11:08 AM.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

This is a separate issue, but bad grammar and spelling are likely to hurt you, even if they don't hurt you in the search engines (and as Michael pointed out, if it's bad enough, it can hurt you in the search engines too). People reading your pages in their native language are going to be less likely to trust you if you don't communicate clearly and with authority, even if the information on the page is valuable.

If you can, find yourself a copy editor who's a native speaker. Even if you only use their services for a while, it's likely they'll point out some errors you'll be able to watch for on your own in the future. About 20 years ago, I helped a friend clean up his doctoral dissertation. He was a native French speaker, and even though he had at that point lived in either the UK or the US for more than 10 years and was fluent in English (and he was without question highly intelligent -- he ended up a professor at an Ivy League university), his writing needed a lot of help, and he knew it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.