• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Upselling Mobile Website To Clients?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jwes115

Jwes115

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hey guys, wasn't sure the best place to post this, but I felt like this post is applicable to the forum.

I'm working as a digital marketing manager at an agency and we have around 100 clients that we've built websites for. Most of these websites are based in html with no CMS or easy plugin/addon to create mobile website, which is done for SEO focus but mainly because my boss is resistant to using CMS (go figure...).

With the announcement of Google's mobile page index update as of April 21st of this year, I've compiled a portfolio of information on what Google will be focusing on, best practices, and what constitutes "mobile-ready" to their algorithm. This is an excellent opportunity for our company to let our clients know of Google's refocus, drop some important stats about mobile searching and how it affects their business, and create a pitch to upsell a mobile website for their existing online presence.

What I'm wondering is.... has anyone else here also had to do something similar? What would be your main points when discussing this information with clients, what would you offer them as far as maybe "mobile-friendly" vs. "responsive website" packages and what would you implement as a company? Like I said, we have ~100 client websites up right now and it would be nearly impossible to get them all ready for the April 21st update in time, but I have compiled information that prioritizes which ones will need what types of upgrades to make them maintain ranking after the roll.

Any information on this subject would help me out a bunch! Very interested to hear what you guys have to say, thanks!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

There is no "SEO" reason for having a 'mobile' site. If the target audience includes a high potential of  users accessing the site from 'mobile' devices. Then yes, SEO, ... ... No.

for the April 21st update 

And this date is important because??

#3 Jwes115

Jwes115

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Well, we build websites and then offer SEO services secondarily. It's not so much the SEO value as much as it will impact our clients' business because many receive 50%+ mobile traffic and actually NEED mobile landing pages for better conversions as they have an enormous bounce rate currently. I've made a few of them mobile friendly to protect our current SEO rankings but want to pitch an upsell in order to create more value for our agency.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:06 AM

...many receive 50%+ mobile traffic and actually NEED mobile landing pages for better conversions as they have an enormous bounce rate currently

Is that not enough to convince them they need a mobile-friendly site? Show them in their analytics. Show them mobile search results warning that their sites provide a poor mobile experience.

This has, for arguably most sites, been growing in importance for a few years now. The update scheduled for next month is an algo that will further stress the importance of mobile, and we haven't been given a lot of details on it (we never are), but for many sites it's going to serve as a rude awakening, reminding people they should have at least gotten started on dealing with this a long time ago.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

have an enormous bounce rate currently.

From where??

http://webmaster-tal.../19-bounce-rate

And stop using "rankings" as a excuse/reason.

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

How to demonstrate it to clients?

Give them a tablet or a phone and ask them to buy a product from their own site.

#6 Jwes115

Jwes115

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

Well, you know, at the end of the day my boss demands we utilize the most useless metrics when proving our value to clients, it's often a black hat charade of keyword SERP ranking for useless keywords with no search traffic or relevance. I know when it comes to active web pages with meaningful content (which we rarely provide as a company, even to my own freelancer standards) you're going to work a lot more to get your content out there than just organizing the meta tags and connecting GALPs and IALPs using spammy keyword stuffing. I wasn't insisting that I knew the best practice, but the idea about letting clients use their own mobile site is a good one. Only problem is 99% of our clients just have static info pages with contact details and some description of what service they provide.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:33 AM

My agency has been actively developing a best practices list for mobile search but that is all pre-emptive and I don't feel confident sharing it publicly because it has not survived a "trial-by-fire".  After April 21 we should all see a relatively quick assessment from Web marketing forums and blogs about what people did that worked and what they did that did not work.

If the sites you build for your clients do not use a CMS I would say you probably need to ensure you have the capability to roll out widespread changes quickly.

At the very least you need to include Viewport declarations in site headers and allow Googlebot to crawl all resources that are used to render a page.  Google also just announced a new report added to GWT that shows you which resources they cannot get to.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

Well, you know, at the end of the day my boss demands we utilize the most useless metrics when proving our value to clients

Part of your job should be to put him (or her) right, so he (or she) is not expecting you to deliver the impossible, then sacking you when you don't

Edited by chrishirst, 11 March 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#9 Jwes115

Jwes115

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

Part of your job should be to put him (or her) right, so he (or she) is not expecting you to deliver the impossible, then sacking you when you don't

The best part is I still get paid more through freelancing and a few other biz operations I have going. The boss made me relocate for the position, so obviously I'm doing a little bit of job hunting while I figure out what to do next. Still learning while I'm here, making sure I'm skilled up for the next position.

I don't disagree with you, but I've tried several times to explain the benefits of using a CMS, applying best practices and actually providing clients with top grade service... they would rather approach low hanging fruit type clients and run loose game on them. I've brought it up in many forms, even confrontational, but to no success.

Thanks everyone for the insight on my question. I will present a plan for rolling out mobile on our current platform but will again suggest upgrading yet again to better methods. I did already apply viewport to all pages and make them mobile-friendly aside from content being too small when scaled on mobile devices.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

https://www.youtube....tKqcH6Q#t=7m59s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.