• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Do All The Big Sites, Facebook, Twitter Etc. Use Lazy Loading? Is

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrliketolearn

mrliketolearn

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:14 AM

Hi,

I'm currently looking at using lazy loading for the article and image galleries on my site as all the big sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google Image Search etc are using it.

But I read that the lazy loading kills SEO for your content.

If that is the case then how are those sites getting such high search rankings? Perhaps the page load speed benefit from the lazy loading is worth trading off keyword ranking your content for?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

as all the big sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google Image Search etc are using it.

But I read that the lazy loading kills SEO for your content.

If that is the case then how are those sites getting such high search rankings? 

What makes you think those 'sites' even CARE about pointless "key" word 'rankings'

Perhaps the page load speed benefit from the lazy loading is worth trading off keyword ranking your content for?

Man, you are in the world of "fantasy SEO" if you think that such things make any kind of significant difference.

I suggest you start here and join the real SEO world and stop worrying about such trivialities in the real scope of all things Search related.

• mrliketolearn likes this

#3 mrliketolearn

mrliketolearn

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for those links that's some handy info :)

About the big sites though - they weren't big at some point so how did they get big while using lazy loading I am wondering? The keyword and content stuff doesn't matter so much for them?

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

I don't know if your mother ever said anything like this to you, but mine sure did. When I would ask if I could do some "teenager-crazy" thing, and my justification for it was that "all the other kids are doing it," my mom would ask, "If all the other kids jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"

Just because you see somebody apparently doing something, don't assume that's something you should be doing as well.

Those big sites you mention have got plenty of content and all sorts of keywords, all generated by their users (so they don't have to work very hard creating content at all). And they've got marketing budgets, and they've used public relations via the media to generate "buzz" about every new development. Social networks like Twitter and FB all get their start the same way -- by signing up a few members, who invite their friends, who in turn invite their friends and so forth. In the case of FB, at first it was very exclusive -- if you didn't have the right college email account, you couldn't get in -- which got a lot of "outsiders" irrationally excited about getting in, because people hate to think they're missing out on anything. So as soon as FB opened up, people joined in droves. Once either service reached critical mass, they no longer had to advertise; they were attracting media attention and signing up more people every day simply by existing.

In other words, they got where they were without search, and they don't need search now. Sure, they'll take search traffic when they get it, but they don't need it to survive. If you're a member of Facebook, did you get there because you searched on "social network" in Google? Or were you invited by someone? Or did you read an article in the media about it and decided it was something to check out? When you go to log in now, do you Google "Facebook," or do you simply log in?

Unless you're such a big brand name that people would think there was something wrong with Google if they searched on your brand name and didn't find you at the top of the results, you are not in the same boat.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

they weren't big at some point so how did they get big while using lazy loading I am wondering?

Those sites were 'big' before "lazy loading" was even a 'kewl' glint in  some developers eye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.