• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Url Structure For Businesses Across Multiple Countries

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlGallaf

AlGallaf

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

I am currently designing a social media website that is going to be focused on businesses from multiple countries and I am trying to come up with the best URL structure for the website. I do not want to follow the standard approach that major social media websites, such as Facebook and Twitter, and below I am going to explain why.

I am going to use Volkswagen as an example.

UK Website & Social Media Links

www.volkswagen.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/VolkswagenUK
www.twitter.com/ukvolkswagen

France Website & Social Media Links

www.volkswagen.fr/
www.facebook.com/volkswagenfrance
www.twitter.com/vw_france

As you can see above, having the business name concatenated with the country name or abbreviation does not look professional nor consistent hence are the following the solutions that I came up with:

Bear in mind that www.example.com is going to be the main website domain for all the examples below.

Solution 1:

www.example.co.uk/volkswagen
www.example.fr/volkswagen

Getting the website domain for all countries TLDs and using it as above. www.example.com, www.example.co.uk and www.example.fr are all going to point to the same website (databse, web server...). I think that this solution will work best for localized search engines as Googling for Volkswagen on Google.co.uk will have the top result as www.volkswagen.co.uk not www.volkswagen.com. The only thing that I'm worried about is the user experience of switching between .com, .co.uk and .fr, will it be affected?

Solution 2:

uk.example.com/volkswagen
fr.example.com/volkswagen

This URL structure looks cleaner but I do not recall seeing this approach anywhere on the web.

Solution 3:

www.example.com/uk/volkswagen
www.example.com/fr/volkswagen

This URL structure also looks clean but it involves having the business name on the second level of the structure, having the country abbreviation on the first level.

Additionally:

What about having Volkswagen's main URL to be www.example.com/volkswagen and automatically redirecting the users based on their location (IP or GPS) to their country's main website www.example.co.uk/volkswagen, uk.example.com/volkswagen or www.example.com/uk/volkswagen? The only disadvantage that I can think of is what if Volkswagen is entirely a different business in the UK and France. Won't forwarding the users based on location case confusion?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

This question has been asked and answered many times.

And the upshot is:

It does not matter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.