• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Great Link From Guardian, But They Have Used My Adwords Url!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

My company has had a link published from a story in the Guardian newspaper. We are very happy obviously, but there is just one problem - they haven't just used our home page link, they have used the URL from clicking through from an Adwords advert. So it goes to our home page but it has lots of extra code for Adwords as the URL extension.

I don't want to bring it up with the Guardian as don't want to risk them removing the link altogether, but will this bring any link power to the home page? Will it bring as much link power as a simple home page link would?

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

Can you remove it from your adwords campaign and then 301 redirect that URL to the home page URL?

#3 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

Yes we probably could, but in terms of link power (i.e. boosting Google listings), would it make any difference? The link is linking to our home page, just with the Adwords code. I spoke to my Adwords rep and they told me that we won't be charged by Adwords so that isn't a problem, I just want to ensure the SEO aspect is working!

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

It might, it might not. The redirect (or a canonical tag) would ensure that it doesn't hurt anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.