• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

I Feel Like I've Been Ripped Off.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 corey282

corey282

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:34 AM

I am a locksmith who had decent rankings with Google plus, but my organic was not very good. When Google decided to cut the slots for "REMOVED" from 7 to 3, I was taken off the map and my calls were cut to less than 1/2. That's when I decided to seek help. I got in touch with a "SEO/Web designer" who seems to be very knowledgeable. He was telling me all the things wrong with my website and how it could be improved by trashing my old website and starting over. When I contacted him all I really wanted to do was revamp my original website and build on what I already had as far as rankings go. He told me my old website was outdated and he could not do much as far as SEO and I needed a better platform. I accepted his offer and spent $1,500, way more than I planned on spending for a website. After all he got a "crane company" to #1 and led me on to believe he could work his majic and get my company ranked high as well.

When my website was "completed" I was expecting him to move right into the SEO that he sold me on. For weeks and months nothing happened. My ranking has not improved for "REMOVED", it's gone down from 5,6 or 7, to 22. Frustrated I sent him some angry emails. He claims he built me a top of the line website and did all kinds of things that I did not have before on my old one. Not only that I told him I did not care for some things but he seems to ignore my requests and suggestions. He basically copy and pasted much of my old website, but changed the design and logo to match my business card revamp. I decided to buy a 5 year web hosting deal from Godaddy and move my site over. He now wants $200 to move it. I became very angry because from the beginning I told him I wanted control and he told me it would be no problem. Then he talked me into saving money by letting him have it on his web hosting, but never mentioned there would be a charge to move it at a later date.

Now I'm at the point where I don't feel like giving this guy another penny. I feel like I could have paid a couple hundred bucks to have student do it, but I put my trust in a "professional". I almost feel like starting over. 

Here's my website: REMOVED

Edited by chrishirst, 18 February 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:19 AM

I am a locksmith who had decent rankings with Google plus

Google plus is Google's shot at "Social networking" so doesn't have 'rankings'.

I decided to buy a 5 year web hosting deal from Godaddy 

Why?

and led me on to believe he could work his majic and get my company ranked high as well

Not really "led you on", just told you what you wanted [and expected] to hear, even though it is not actually predictable that you will 'rank' for specific 'key' words or phrases.

Read these articles to learn more. >> http://www.highranki...s-for-new-seos/

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

I'm not sure if there was a question in your original post, but yeah, sounds like you got ripped off. 

Live and learn. 

#4 corey282

corey282

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Google plus is Google's shot at "Social networking" so doesn't have 'rankings

Yes it does. The one above the organics and below the adwords or is there another name for it? Before Google removed 4 slots I fluctuated between 4-7. Since I had this new website I am down to 22 as of a few days ago.

Not really "led you on", just told you what you wanted [and expected] to hear, even though it is not actually predictable that you will 'rank' for specific 'key' words or phrases.

Well, when I called him initially it was for some advise and he sold me on his SEO. Before that could happen I needed a new "SEO friendly website". Once the website was done so was he and he has no interest in SEO. If someone was stranded who lost the key to their car and I charge them to make a key that only opens the doors and turns the ignition but does not start the car,  I was not being honest, up front and truthful that I did not want or have the ability to make transponder keys. The difference between me and him is he told me he could do SEO and showed me a reference of a crane company he got ranked #1. 

#5 corey282

corey282

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

I'm not sure if there was a question in your original post, but yeah, sounds like you got ripped off. 

Live and learn.

It is a question. I included a link to my website that was removed hoping some of you experts could take a look at it and tell me if I got my money's worth or not.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Yes it does. The one above the organics and below the adwords or is there another name for it? 

They are called "blended results" and Google+ results do NOT appear for all users, all 'key' words or even ALL the time. This is what we mean when we talk about "personalised" results, it's NOT JUST YOUR result sets that are "personalised" it's everybody else's.  What you see is NOT what everybody, or even anybody else sees.

If the user query happens to be a "local" query,  that's "local" to the actual user not necessarily 'local' to your business locale and  there is a Google 'maps' and/or active Google + account that is relevant to that user query it MIGHT appear in the results. The user being logged in to their Google account [or not] will change the results that THEY see.

You HAVE to stop thinking in terms of 'key' words and ranking and start thinking in terms of conversions.   

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

Before that could happen I needed a new "SEO friendly website". 

Whatever that means!

All anyone really needs is a USER friendly site that pays nothing more than a cursory nod to search engines in the the form of Search EXPERIENCE Optimisation rather than search engine optimising.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

We don't need to look at the site to know that you got ripped off. If he told you he would do certain things and provide you with certain placement, and didn't, then you were ripped off. End of story.

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

It sounds to me like you needed to address your Local SEO practices, not your Website design.  Although not everyone in the SEO industry works with the local directory listings, most knowledgeable people should have recognized off the start that you needed to work on your Google + business profile.

My rule of thumb is to advise people to run far away from anyone who speaks in terms of "link juice" and "SEO friendly [ANYTHING]".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.