• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Blog Content

Best Answer torka , 09 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

Write about things your audience is interested in which are also related to the product or service you're selling. Has nothing to do with whether it's "good for SEO." Has everything to do with whether you're wasting your time.

A blog is an excellent marketing tool, but only if its used correctly. Let's use a brewery as an example. It would be silly to write posts on the company blog about fashion trends or woodworking projects or recipes -- unless you could tie them in to beer somehow. I mean, you could include a recipe that included one of your beers as an ingredient, or if you also discussed which of your beers would pair particularly well with that dish. You could publish woodworking instructions to build a rustic enclosure for your beer fridge or keg. Instead of writing about fashion trends in clothing or makeup, you'd write about trends in beer (pale ale versus stout, upcoming specialty or seasonal flavors, are more people drinking beer chilled or at room temperature, that sort of thing).

Remember, the real purpose of your blog is not to "build links" or "attract page views." Yes, you want it to get links and traffic, but that's not the reason you have a blog. Those things are merely means to an end. In order for your blog to be useful, in order for the time you spend on it to not be wasted, you need to keep in mind that business blogging is a marketing tactic. Every post there should be related in some way to your ultimate business goals (i.e. selling more of your product/service and making more profit). If you want to write general-interest topics, start a personal blog where you can write about whatever strikes your fancy.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Deak

Deak

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

Hello, I have a ecommerce website where I custom make hats. I also have a blog attached (site. com/blog).

To add fresh new daily content I blog about any and everything (news, music, politics, lifestyle, videos, etc.)

Is it true that's that a bad thing given the content of my blog is not relative to the products I sell on

the site?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

To add fresh new daily content I blog about any and everything (news, music, politics, lifestyle, videos, etc.)

How will that help you sell hats? 

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Is it true that's that a bad thing given the content of my blog is not relative to the products I sell on

Nope!

http://www.highranki...0964-bs-or-not/

#4 Deak

Deak

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

How will that help you sell hats? 

The topics mostly be what my target audience reads... Thx, I'm about to dig in the read of these 67 ideas... Thx!

Thx Chris!

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:31 AM   Best Answer

Write about things your audience is interested in which are also related to the product or service you're selling. Has nothing to do with whether it's "good for SEO." Has everything to do with whether you're wasting your time.

A blog is an excellent marketing tool, but only if its used correctly. Let's use a brewery as an example. It would be silly to write posts on the company blog about fashion trends or woodworking projects or recipes -- unless you could tie them in to beer somehow. I mean, you could include a recipe that included one of your beers as an ingredient, or if you also discussed which of your beers would pair particularly well with that dish. You could publish woodworking instructions to build a rustic enclosure for your beer fridge or keg. Instead of writing about fashion trends in clothing or makeup, you'd write about trends in beer (pale ale versus stout, upcoming specialty or seasonal flavors, are more people drinking beer chilled or at room temperature, that sort of thing).

Remember, the real purpose of your blog is not to "build links" or "attract page views." Yes, you want it to get links and traffic, but that's not the reason you have a blog. Those things are merely means to an end. In order for your blog to be useful, in order for the time you spend on it to not be wasted, you need to keep in mind that business blogging is a marketing tactic. Every post there should be related in some way to your ultimate business goals (i.e. selling more of your product/service and making more profit). If you want to write general-interest topics, start a personal blog where you can write about whatever strikes your fancy.

Edited by torka, 09 February 2015 - 10:31 AM.
typo

• Jill and Deak like this

#6 Deak

Deak

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thanks a WHOLE LOT Torka! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated! And sounds plausible! :shades:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.