• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Target The Keywords

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bala4SEO

Bala4SEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hi, I have a website and my home page just have the links to inner pages. I have one page for each state (i.e the key word for each state will be state name + keyword)..

So should I target each page for SEO ? like for example my keyword is lottery then my keywords or OHio lottery, newyork lottery and so on..

Not sure how to start with. as my home page can not contain all these as keywords that is all statenames with lottery.

Hope my question is clear...i am in a lot of confusion.. And Thank god i got this forum to help me.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:40 AM

There is a name for what you 'hope' to do.

It's called "mad lib spam".

• kayes95 likes this

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

Not sure what you mean by "targeting each page for SEO." What would be the alternative? Creating crappy pages that you don't want indexed or ranked? Or are you still operating under the incorrect notion that SEO is all about links?

If you're going to go through the trouble of creating all these pages, you darned well better take (legitimate) SEO into consideration or you're engaging in a colossal waste of time and energy.

Thing is, if what you're talking about is creating the crappy, low-quality "mad lib spam" pages Chris mentions and throwing a bunch of spam links (blog comments, forum posts, article repositories, free-for-all directories, classified ads, etc.) at them, not a bit of that has anything to do with SEO at all.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• kayes95 likes this

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:49 AM

If you're asking about how to link to each of these state + keyword pages from the home page, it looks like you've already realized that a list like

Alabama Lottery

Alaska Lottery

Arkansas Lottery

is going to look kind of stupid.

This is where the semantic meaning of certain HTML elements becomes very useful. If you create a list (using either ul or ol), search engines will understand that each item in that list is equally relevant to the heading of the list, so with a list like

<ul>State Lotteries
<li>Alabama</li>
<li>Alaska</li>
<li>Arkansas</li>
</ul>

...each state name will be viewed as equally related to "state lotteries".

• kayes95 likes this

#5 n0tSEO

n0tSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hi Bala3SEO,

Let's view this matter from an alternative viewpoint. Suppose you're a user looking for a lottery site; I'm sure you'll ask yourself some questions, like--

What do I really want to find?

What words will I use for my search?

What kind of site (in terms of quality and friendliness) do I want to stumble upon?

Let these questions guide you. Remember that SEO is a consequence, not a goal; you create a website to meet a need of your users (if that's a business site; that doesn't apply to personal sites, of course), so put them first--- and use words in your page that may help them find you, but without exaggerating.

If you feel that writing about 'Ohio lottery' will help your Ohio-based users, for example, but something like 'the Ohio lottery system' would make more sense than 'Ohio lottery' as a page title.

As for the copy, speak to your user directly. There are hundreds of authoritative resources online about good copywriting practices.

Just my 2 cents. :)

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Take the time to create a unique page or set of pages for each state.  By "unique" I don't mean change the names of the states in targeted keyword expressions.  I mean really create interesting, helpful content for each state's users that they cannot find elsewhere.

You don't say what kind of site you have but based on the little information you provide it sounds like a made-for-advertising or affiliate site.  You cannot afford to be cheap about content with sites like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.