• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Looking To Get Into The Ppc Industry

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lankyyankee

lankyyankee

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

I am interested in SEM, specifically PPC, as a business that I could eventually run as a freelancer. I have a friend who does this pretty successfully and has shown me how to run campaigns. I'm curious if anyone out there has any suggestions as to how one might enter the PPC market. Certification? Get a job with a big SEM firm? Find a small company willing to use me to run a campaign just to get something on my CV? I've begun by watching all the tutorials from GoogleAds to the many options on youtube. From what I've seen, it appears fairly interesting with great potential, mobility and flexibility, i.e. I could have some cash flow and still play music!

I'd appreciate any feedback. I hope this was an appropriate place to inquire. Thank you!

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

From what I've seen, it appears fairly interesting with great potential, mobility and flexibility,

Maybe so. But have you done any proper market research to determine if there is a demand for the services you are considering? It might be the most interesting work imaginable, but you will only succeed if there are people out there who are willing to pay for your services. As with any new business idea, researching the market must always be the very first step.

Mike

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

The problem I've seen is the same for all sorts of freelance business service providers -- most of the small businesses that you can reasonably manage yourself don't have the budget to afford your services (or at least say they don't have the budget...) and the larger companies that have the budget often need more time and attention than one person working on their own can accomplish.

Certainly certification will enhance your credibility when you pitch your services to a business owner or manager, but certification without real-world experience is fairly meaningless.

You say you have a friend who does this successfully. Would they be willing to take you on as a trainee? This would allow you to gain experience and find out if this is really a good fit for you, while possibly allowing your friend to expand his business with more clients.

--Torka :iratep:

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:04 AM

Tons and tons of small Search Marketing Agencies need help. If you are highly intelligent, a fast learner and a self starter, I  imagine you could get in with one at a low rate to start. Then they would train you as long as you committed to staying with them for a certain period of time. My understanding is that it's very hard to find people who are really good at PPC marketing.

#5 lankyyankee

lankyyankee

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

You say you have a friend who does this successfully. Would they be willing to take you on as a trainee? This would allow you to gain experience and find out if this is really a good fit for you, while possibly allowing your friend to expand his business with more clients.

--Torka :iratep:

Thanks for the response. My friend is trying to get me in and possibly expand his business so I'm attempting to get my ducks in a row! cheers

Tons and tons of small Search Marketing Agencies need help. If you are highly intelligent, a fast learner and a self starter, I  imagine you could get in with one at a low rate to start. Then they would train you as long as you committed to staying with them for a certain period of time. My understanding is that it's very hard to find people who are really good at PPC marketing.

Thanks for the response Jill. I have begun to investigate local PPC marketing firms to get some training. Cheers...

Maybe so. But have you done any proper market research to determine if there is a demand for the services you are considering? It might be the most interesting work imaginable, but you will only succeed if there are people out there who are willing to pay for your services. As with any new business idea, researching the market must always be the very first step.

Mike

Thanks for the response Mikl. I'm fairly certain that it's not the most interesting work imaginable but it may be a way to afford me to keep writing music and create art so I've begun "improper" market research like posting to forums. It's been great to get some feedback. Cheers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.