• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

'default Page' Warning From Ga - Not Sure I Understand...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

I received a warning saying that internal and external links are sending traffic to mysite.com and mysite.com/index.php

The advice from Google is this:

"In the Default page field, enter the default page for this domain. This is the page that loads when a user enters only the domain of your site into their address bar. For example, if www.example.com loads your index.html web page, enter index.html in this field."

All of my directories are linked to the directory and not the index file, and if you type the domain into a URL Bar my site does NOT show the index.php - so, am I correct in just entering 'index.php'?

Thanks!

ga.jpg

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

I'm not positive, but it seems to me that it should be whatever shows in the address bar, aka www.yourdomain.com presuming you're not redirecting to a different URL.

Also, just noticed from your image that it's optional, so probably best to leave it out unless you are showing some other URL than the root.

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Also, just noticed from your image that it's optional, so probably best to leave it out unless you are showing some other URL than the root.

I think it is better to mention it because that is recommended by Google...

thanks...

If anyone else can chime in that would be appreciated. I'm going to keep the index.php as screenshot and I'll let ya'll know what happens...

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

"Nanny [Google] knows best eh!

Probably some 'well meaning' dipstick has planted a link somewhere and added the 'index.php' just for good measure.

You can use .htaccess to get rid of the <cough>'problem'</cough> using %THE_REQUEST% in a conditional (RewriteCond ) rule 

http://www.highranki...with-indexhtml/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.