• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Length Of The Url / Count Of Sub Directory : How Much Is Matter ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loki5100

loki5100

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

I question myself about the importance of the length of the URL in SEO and especially the count of sub-directory in the url. 

on my point of view i think the length of the url is important, more shorter, more better, but i have no really prove of it

for example when i search "real estate new york" i have in 1rt page result like

/pages/realestate/
/NY/New_York/
/new-york-ny/
/realestateandhomes-search/New-York_NY

(around 2 sub-directories max)

but me i would like an url like

/real-estate/for-sale/united-states/new-york/new-york/

that is more logical

/real-estate/ point to the real estate category of the website

/real-estate/for-sale/ point to the for-sale category of the real estate

/real-estate/for-sale/united-states/ => all the ads in the united states

/real-estate/for-sale/united-states/new-york/ => all the ads in new york (states)

/real-estate/for-sale/united-states/new-york/new-york/ => all the ads in new york (cities)

as you see it's hierarchical, logical ... but is it very good for search engine ?

what do you think about it ?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

How Much Is Matter

It doesn't.

Edited by chrishirst, 02 February 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

Matt Cutts did once say shorter is better, but it may have been propaganda. 

#4 loki5100

loki5100

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

It doesn't.

i don't believe ... because all the samples i saw, the competitor with shortest url are always on the top ... i would prefer to have some proof of the opposite, but right now the proof i have show that shortest = better

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

Then just go with shorter. 

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

No you don't have any proof at all, you have anecdotal evidence of a theory and when you set out to 'prove' a theory you WILL ALWAYS find that 'proof'.

What you think you see is based upon you thinking that the URL is the ONLY reason any particular page is in YOUR subset of the entire index in that subset of word space.

And that is where the theory falls apart.

#7 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 968 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

/real-estate/for-sale/united-states/new-york/new-york/

The problem with that URL, as with most such URLs, is not with its length, but rather with its implementation. How do you get to that page?

One might presume that a visitor goes to the home page, looks for a button or link labeled REAL ESTATE, and then clicks it to get a new page. He searches the resultant page for a link to FOR SALE, clicks it, then clicks on UNITED STATE, finds a link to the state of New York and clicks, then finally looks through a long list of NY cities and clicks on New York City. Success!

However, from a Usability standpoint, that's a whole lot of clicks. And from an SEO standpoint, that's a whole lot of separation from your home page.

Typically, on most sites, the home page gets the most inbound links to it. The link juice it accumulates is then passed through the rest of the site, a little bit going here, a little bit going over there. Your proposed URL, while imminently logical, creates FIVE interior pages, each of which will bleed off its own link juice before passing some to the next child page in line. By the time the link juice gets that far down the chain there's usually not a lot of it left. If you want that final page to rank well for even marginally competitive terms the answer is to move it closer to the home page OR make sure it gets plenty of its own inbound links. The latter can often be a challenge.

Your analysis of the SERPS is potentially flawed because you "think" you're seeing shorter URLs ranking better. What you may instead be seeing are pages that are closer to their home page ranking better?

The navigation for a website, sometimes referred to as its Site Architecture, is a critical factor, indeed one of the most important, for good SEO. There are no silver bullets or one-size-fits-all answers (like short URLs). In short, creating a good Site Architecture is as much art as it is science.

• chrishirst likes this

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

Keep in mind that click length and URL are not the same. You can have a URL that's a mile long with all sorts of sub-folders and sub-sub-folders and such, but if that page is also linked directly from the home page, then it is only 1 click away from that home page, regardless of the length of the URL.

As Ron says, it's not the length of the URLs, but the click length from the site's most important page, that likely makes the big difference.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• GregBrass likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.