• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Many Is 'too Many Obl Links'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

I have a resource on my site that is ranked #1 on the web....it's a great resource and has become almost like an industry standard....so that's great news...

The thing is that that particular page lists hundreds of events happening around the world - and it keeps getting added to...

My question is - at some point the page is going to become a gigantic resource with possibly 400+ Links - (by the way I am the one that validates all links) so - does anyone have any experience with Google suspecing us of being a link farm?

I guess the answer is no because the resource is clean, good, reputable and I've got tons of great incoming links that validate me against being a 'link farm'

But anyways - any feedback, as ever - appreciated!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

I guess the answer is no because the resource is clean, good, reputable and I've got tons of great incoming links that validate me against being a 'link farm'

Bingo!

You must be really bored to have your thoughts go there. Surely you have other more important things to think about? :)

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

Bingo!

You must be really bored to have your thoughts go there. Surely you have other more important things to think about? :)

Yes you are right - but this resource that I have really is #1 for excellent (profitable) keywords in my space - and I'm just kinda being 100% about it....covering all bases...

thanks

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

Does this resource site require all the pages to which you link to also include a link back to you in order to be listed?

If not, you're not a link farm. :)

Google is very good at analyzing link patterns. That's kinda what their entire business was built on from the beginning. They can easily see that you're a hub, serving as a valuable resource to link your visitors to other valuable resources. Big difference between that and a link farm.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

Link 'farms' are a very specific type of link swapping scheme.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:01 PM

As Chris pointed out, link farms are a swapping scheme.  In a classic link farm scenario every site participating in the scheme has a "links" page or section that links to all the other sites participating in the scheme.  Link farms have probably evolved from that model over the past 16 years but you still have to be exchanging links with other sites in a systematic fashion for it to be a "farm".

As for your page, I would consider breaking it up if that would work better for your visitors.  Or, if the fetch times reported by the search engines are more than 1-2 seconds, then breaking it up might be worthwhile.

If you take an extremely long resource page and break it into 2-3 parts the best way to manage that (in my opinion and experience at doing this many, many times) is to include what I call "intra-section" navigation.  Don't think in terms of "how do I manage pagination" because each new page is unique.  Rather, think in terms of "how can I interlink these new pages so that the users know what they are and can easily navigate between them".

I normally create a special on-page navigation menu that allows users to move between the pages smoothly and quickly.  Some people implement widgets that look like a row of tabs but there are other ways to do it.

You want the navigation links to be highly visible and crawlable.  Do not use "rel='nofollow'".

But remember: only do this if the user experience is degrading because of the length of the page OR if the crawlers are taking too much time to download the page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.