• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Do I Have To Write My Own Articles In Order To Get Ranked?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 DYTW

DYTW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

I paid up to US$20 per original article and they never even made it to page 10 but when I write my own articles, they made it to first page ranking within 2 weeks. This is getting very frustrating because I paid others to write my articles as I don't have the time or inclination to write articles on a regular basis. :(

It takes me days to finish writing an article as I only write whenever I am in the mood but I made sure these are all long and in-depth articles in excess of 1000 words. I tried to rewrite those articles that I had purchased to improve on them but I realized it made no difference. It seems you need to get it right the first time when it is published and Google will reward you with a page 1 ranking. If it was originally an average or bad article, Google will not change their opinion of it even though you rewrite the entire article to be an epic masterpiece.

I wonder if I should just stop paying for original articles as I am most reluctant to pay more than US$20 per article.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

If you want results .... You NEED the best material. 

As the saying goes, ... "You can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear"

• cnicholas likes this

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:39 AM

I don't know what the market rates are for articles in your part of the world, but where I live US$20 is extremely cheap. No half-way decent professional writer would dream of working for such a low rate.

More to the point, you don't say why you want these articles. From what you said, it seems that the only reason you want the articles is so that they will rank high in Google. What exactly is the point of that?

Mike

• Jill likes this

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

There's an old saying -- one of my favorites -- that applies here: "There's fast, there's cheap and there's good. You get to choose TWO."

You have three alternatives:

• Cheap and Good -- use your own time to write articles. No out of pocket costs, and you already know that this works well in terms of getting the results you're looking for. Downside: You give up on Fast. This choice takes time away from other business activities that might be more productive for you.
  • Fast and Cheap -- continue to cheap out on articles written by others. At least this way you don't have to spend much of your own time creating the articles, and on a per-article basis it doesn't cost much. Downside:You give up on Good. You're not getting the results you want and potentially damaging your brand by posting lower-quality articles. Plus, you're totally wasting your money. Granted, it's not much for any individual article, but it doesn't take long for those wasted $20's to add up.
  • Fast and Good -- hire experienced, qualified local writers at market rates to create high quality articles for you. You will have at least a chance of getting articles comparable in quality to what you write yourself -- and quite possibly better (maybe a lot better) because these will be written by professionals. Downside You give up on Cheap.: It will cost you more than $20 per article. Possibly a lot more.

As another old saying goes: "You get what you pay for."

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Jill, michael611 and khairbabu61 like this

#5 DYTW

DYTW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

If you want results .... You NEED the best material. 

As the saying goes, ... "You can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear"

I come across as a cheapskate, do I? :sorry:

Er.....can you give me an indication of just how much more it can cost? Just a rough estimate will do. Many thanks in advance.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

It depends on where the copywriter is located, how long you want the articles to be, what topics you're expecting the writer to cover, whether you furnish them with background information and article topics or if you expect them to do their own research, how experienced the copywriter is, how many articles you're looking for, how frequently you want them, where the articles might be published (your blog, sure, but anywhere else?), etc.

Sometimes if you commit to a longer-term ongoing arrangement and/or agree to pay a retainer instead of having the writer charge per-piece, you can negotiate a discount compared to their normal single article price. If you find a freelancer whose work you really like and who gets the kind of results you're looking for, you might consider proposing this type of arrangement, both to save a bit of cash and to improve your chances of holding on to them for a longer time.

A copywriting marketplace called WriterAccess has a pricing guide you can download from here: http://www.writeraccess.com/resources/

Another marketplace, Scripted, has a 3-step guide to hiring quality content writers, which you can download here: https://scripted.com...ontent-writers/

You may also find this article helpful: a list of 10 questions to ask a prospective content writer before you hire them: http://www.resonance...content-writer/

HTH! :)

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

I come across as a cheapskate, do I? :sorry:

Not especially, more of not knowing which side of the bread  the butter goes on. while  thinking that you really can't tell stork from butter in any case. ... ... To mix a couple of metaphors.

#8 DYTW

DYTW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

A copywriting marketplace called WriterAccess has a pricing guide you can download from here: http://www.writeraccess.com/resources/

Another marketplace, Scripted, has a 3-step guide to hiring quality content writers, which you can download here: https://scripted.com...ontent-writers/

You may also find this article helpful: a list of 10 questions to ask a prospective content writer before you hire them: http://www.resonance...content-writer/

HTH! :)

Many thanks for the very useful links, I will certainly try to build up some contacts with these writers from now on.

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

I don't think it comes down to how much you pay for the content; rather, it comes down to how well the content is written.  Price is just one way to filter content quality, and not always the best method.

You can get some pretty good writers to help you for free, if your site creates the kind of visibility they want.

At the end of the day, it depends far more on how useful your content is, how easy it is to find and understand, and how much other people like it.  Who writes the content and how much it costs you are secondary considerations (less important).

#10 DYTW

DYTW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:19 AM

I don't think it comes down to how much you pay for the content; rather, it comes down to how well the content is written.  Price is just one way to filter content quality, and not always the best method.

You can get some pretty good writers to help you for free, if your site creates the kind of visibility they want.

At the end of the day, it depends far more on how useful your content is, how easy it is to find and understand, and how much other people like it.  Who writes the content and how much it costs you are secondary considerations (less important).

I was actually turned down by all the writers when I told them I wanted a certain type of article. They refused to do it irregardless of the price I was prepared to pay. They said it was beyond their job scope and "capabilities" because it involved over 40 keywords in a single article. Left with no choice, I did the article myself and it took me 2 full days but it went to Google first page ranking and stayed there ever since. :dntknw:

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

They said it was beyond their job scope and "capabilities" because it involved over 40 keywords in a single article.

That's because they are  stupid and cannot think beyond the 'engine' behind "Search"

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Why would you want to include 40 keywords in one article?

#13 DYTW

DYTW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

Why would you want to include 40 keywords in one article?

Because it was a Glossary.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

So why didn't a company want to create a glossary for you? 

Which by the way I wouldn't consider an article. Not sure why you called it one. Perhaps that's why the company wouldn't do it?

#15 DYTW

DYTW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:33 AM

So why didn't a company want to create a glossary for you? 

Which by the way I wouldn't consider an article. Not sure why you called it one. Perhaps that's why the company wouldn't do it?

They said it was too much work as it required in-depth expertise on the topic and that it contained far too many keywords/phrases. :rant:  Apparently, professional writers are used to having only just one or two keywords/phrases per article. I agree with you that I would not treat a Glossary as an artice too in the strict sense of the word but that was what they called it when they rejected my job. :dntknw:

Anyway, I have learnt my lesson and from now on, I will no longer engage anyone to write articles for me from now on. The facts have been laid bare for me to see. If the articles are not ranked well by Google, it will likely mean that my readers would not be impressed with the contents either so I guess I just have to rely on myself from now and cannot expect any :help: from anyone.

That's because they are  stupid and cannot think beyond the 'engine' behind "Search"

I think they just want to do the minimum work possible for the maximum payout.

Edited by DYTW, 03 February 2015 - 03:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.