• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Website Overhaul = Pages Vs Posts Battle (Wordpress)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shootingtime

shootingtime

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

With the help of a friend, I am changing my website's theme and upgrading my website. Currently the site, which is a page based site, gets decent traffic. It is built using a "silo" system. It has silo (topic) landing pages, then subpages.. hence the url structure is ...../silo-topic/page-name.

My buddy swears by using posts almost exclusively and this scares me. I will still be able to maintain the url structures if I changed all the pages to posts, (/silo-topic/page-name.... will now become .../category/post-name/) but I fear that some of my heavy traffic pages will lose value quicker as a "time sensitive" post. 

Some expert claims that, for his website, he creates his articles as posts and when a post starts to rank really well, he will change it to a page and use a 301 redirect to the new page. The new page's content won't get watered down by comments and should be a "timeless" fixture on his website. I understand his thinking.

Here are the questions I have:

1. Should I change all my pages (articles) into posts and cross my fingers? My urls will stay the same; the new posts will just become time sensitive/dated material.

2. Should I take my heavy traffic pages and keep them as pages? I would have to change the urls due to the fact that most of the new sites articles will be posts and take over the silo url structure. 

Thanks for any and all input!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

Some expert claims that, 

I think you can apply the title of "expert" to that one then. 

the long answer is .... Either, Both, and Neither.

The simple solution is:

Do whatever is best for YOUR site management methods, nobody else really cares, particularly search engines.

Occam's razor applies in this case "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

Just as long as your site URLs are unique and crawl-able  the structure (physical or virtual) matters not. However the structure of your site navigation does.

And by the way, the only SILO acronym you need to care about is the one for cornering at high speed,

Short In, ... Long Out.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

Some expert claims that, for his website, he creates his articles as posts and when a post starts to rank really well, he will change it to a page and use a 301 redirect to the new page. The new page's content won't get watered down by comments and should be a "timeless" fixture on his website. I understand his thinking.

Dumbest thing I've heard in quite some time.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

Pages and posts are the same thing as far as a search engine is concerned.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.