• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Business Websites Vs Yellow Pages Vs Big Websites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 anandmys

anandmys

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

I have been creating websites for many of my clients who are mostly small business owners.

Many a times they are the best people to get good service for the product /service they offer.

When someone is searching in Google for the service they offer, they should stand a good chance to come up in Google results.

That is when Google search becomes a success. (I am not talking here from the search engine expert angle. I am saying "Google business is to give searchers the best results. It is for Google to improve the formulas in order to stay relevant")

Of-late, I have observed that most of the location based searches in Google are filled with results from yellow pages. 

So, if you know a good yellow page in your area, you can just ignore Google and go to that yellow page website to get answers.

Another SPAM practice which is able to beat Google formula that I have observed is, website owners create single pages for all cities they want to cover and put irrelevant data. Say the address of bank branch where money can be deposited. 

Just search for "REMOVED" and see.

You get results like REMOVED

But the company is located in somewhere else.

Search "REMOVED" (Mysore is a small town in India. Replace Mysore with any small town or Dentist with any other service, you will find similar things.)

7 out of 10 results are yellow pages

1 is a big hospital chain. The page content has nothing. See here REMOVED Almost a blank page. But because of the domain authority, this page comes up well.

There are only 2 real clinic websites.

Hope Google will sooner or later plug this loop hole.

Edited by chrishirst, 26 December 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

If YOU are not in that particular area, YOU will not get results that are for that area.

You are in India, so searching for "whatever New York" is NOT going to give you "local results"

Hope Google will sooner or later plug this loop hole

There is no "loop hole", if you make a "Yellow page" style searches, ... .... You GET "Yellow page" style results.

Another SPAM practice which is able to beat Google formula that I have observed is, website owners create single pages for all cities they want to cover and put irrelevant data. Say the address of bank branch where money can be deposited. 

YOU make think it is a SPAM practice .... Google obviously disagrees with you.

And of course if you search like a rank checker you WILL get crappy results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.