• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

All Doors To Link Building Seem To Be Closed

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 margarets

margarets

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi, It seems that Google has closed all doors to non spam link building for new websites. If I ask a website to allow me to guest post, then it is spam. If I submit an article to article directories, then it is again spam. Paid link building is spam.

They say you have to earn the link. How is this possible in a competitive niche. No matter how good my content is, the likelihood of other websites linking to me is almost zero. Why in this world will anybody link to me unless I am better than a 10 year old website earning millions!

Can you guys suggest how to build links for a new website? Something that is realistic.

Note: Even the most reputed of the websites are telling unrealistic ways of link building. Its almost impossible to survive, unless you have started website as part of your hobby.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

Can you guys suggest how to build links for a new website? Something that is realistic.

As we keep saying, ... YOU don't.

Your job is to provide content on your site that IS worth linking to.

And stop thinking that Google is THE only way to get converting visitors! Links have a secret life that nobody seems to know about.

#3 margarets

margarets

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate that.

I will elaborate a bit more. I am posting content on my website that is better than websites ranked on the first page. I have the social media engagement and my website is 4 months old. My webpage is seldom shown on the first page. It generally appears on 3rd or 4th. Actually, the problem is webpage authority, which I don't have. I understand that authority building takes time but how am I going to work towards building authority. Except posting quality content and engaging on social media, there is nothing available for me to do. Everything else is now considered as spam. 

I can post quality content that can engage

I can do social media the way it should be done excluding the paid options

Google adwords is expensive

I have posted videos on Youtube
Do you think I can expect significant traffic in years to come doing only this?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:42 AM

I have the social media engagement 

And???

and my website is 4 months old.

So far too new then.  

but how am I going to work towards building authority

YOU don't and YOU can't.

there is nothing available for me to do. Everything else is now considered as spam. 

"everything else" has ALWAYS been 'spam' the only difference is that 'modern' search engines are better at catching it.

Do you think I can expect significant traffic in years to come doing only this?

Possibly.

Though you would be FAR, FAR better off getting your OWN traffic and ignoring search engines completely.

Edited by chrishirst, 25 December 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Here's how I did it:

Focusing (or not) on Google.

#6 SEOPistol

SEOPistol

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

It would be great to see someone recommending not doing any linkbuilding who has a decent website with traffic.

A lot of people on these forums claim that SEO in today's climate should not include any link building, but these same people do not seem to be having a lot of success with that. 

I think if you are going to recommend that someone just write high quality content you need to explain a bit more about what the next step for them is other than "just wait for people to come to your website".

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

but these same people do not seem to be having a lot of success with that. 

That all depends on how you measure 'success'.

And here (HR) we have NEVER suggested just waiting for people to come to your site, because that would just be plain dumb.  But you do not 'link build' just for the sake of 'building links', with today's search engine that would be just as dumb as doing nothing.

Links are the Internet equivalent of roadside signposts and you need to place them where others will see them.

http://webmaster-tal...-secret-life-of

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

You can build links in social media without influencing your search engine standings and risking a penalty.

You can also ask for links that use the "rel='nofollow'" attribute from sites whose visitors would be interested in your content.

Get people to your site and then let THEM decide whether to give you links that may (not) help with search.  Don't focus just on how to inflate your value in the search algorithms.  Instead, focus on connecting people with your content.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

I've never asked for a link, ever, on behalf of the company I work for. Never done any overt "link building," other than submitting our main site to DMOZ, JoeAnt and the old Yahoo Directory (when it was free to submit), like, about a thousand years ago. We have other links pointing to us, but none of them because I asked for them or "built" them.

We get about a third of our traffic from organic search, which is about as much as I'm comfortable with. The rest is split between referral and direct traffic, which is where I prefer to get the majority of my traffic anyway.

I've spent the last 10 years building our various sites up to offer tons of original (I hope useful) content and promoting them through direct mail, paid advertising, content marketing and social media. It's perhaps slower, and definitely more work than what used to pass for "link building," but on the other hand, I've never needed to be concerned about any Google algo updates, either. :goodjob:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

Did you even read the article I posted right above your post? It says exactly what you're asking.

#11 SEOPistol

SEOPistol

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Did you even read the article I posted right above your post? It says exactly what you're asking.

No offence Jill, but this:

Here's how I did it:

Focusing (or not) on Google.

does not really answer this:

It would be great to see someone recommending not doing any linkbuilding who has a decent website with traffic.

You can build links in social media without influencing your search engine standings and risking a penalty.

You can also ask for links that use the "rel='nofollow'" attribute from sites whose visitors would be interested in your content.

Get people to your site and then let THEM decide whether to give you links that may (not) help with search.  Don't focus just on how to inflate your value in the search algorithms.  Instead, focus on connecting people with your content.

I think these are both good practices. However they're not necessarily alternatives to link building.

I the comment I made was in reference to people who say "you shouldn't build links", but they don't give examples of ways of promoting your site/generating traffic outside of linkbuilding (which is quite a broad area) or examples of websites that have become successful without linkbuilding.

A website that get's <100 unique visits per day I wouldn't say is a good example of a successful site.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

No offence Jill, but this:

does not really answer this:

I think these are both good practices. However they're not necessarily alternatives to link building.

I the comment I made was in reference to people who say "you shouldn't build links", but they don't give examples of ways of promoting your site/generating traffic outside of linkbuilding (which is quite a broad area) or examples of websites that have become successful without linkbuilding.

A website that get's <100 unique visits per day I wouldn't say is a good example of a successful site.

As I said

That all depends on how you measure 'success'.

or examples of websites that have become successful without linkbuilding.

Amazon, Yahoo, Google, Ebay, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, FaceBook, MySpace, Wordpress.com, Microsoft, the list is almost endless.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Oh and if you think "Unique visitors" is a measure of success ... ...

... ... Send me 100 quid and a list of URLs on your site and I'll write a bot that will make you INCREDIBLY successful. ...

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

How about HighRankings.com. Never did link building here either.

#15 SEOPistol

SEOPistol

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:41 AM

OK so your advice to people is: "don't do any kind of link building because Amazon, Yahoo, and Google didn't do any link-building"?

Not sure that really applies to someone who is setting up a website to promote their local restaurant...

Anyway I think there is some solid advice in thread from Michael and Torka, so at least the OP eventually had their question answered, which is the important thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.