• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Wildcard Cname Record = Unlimited Subdomains - Help Me Fix!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 domino66

domino66

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:55 PM

Running a site:mysite.com Google search turned up all sorts of weird subdomains on my site (e.g. test.mysite.com, niq.mysite.com, etc) that are being indexed by Google for some unknown reason. My host recently suggested it's because my 2 CNAME record are set to:
1) *.mysite.com CNAME mysite.com
2) www.mysite.com CNAME mysite.com

The wildcard in #1 above means that I can literally type any prefix into a browser (e.g. yankees.mysite.com) and it will take a user to my site (with yankees.mysite.com showing in the URL field). Normally I wouldn't care too much, but Google is actually indexing some of these gibberish subdomains which can result in bad stuff since they might consider it duplicate content.

I want to know how to fix that so that I don't get dinged. My host suggested I could just delete the wildcard CNAME record (#1 above). But I'm nervous to do that...especially since a poster in the WebmasterWorld thread I linked to above pointed out that even though I might think I only use mysite.com and www.mysite.com, it's possible that I have mail servers set up to use pop.mysite.com or mail.mysite.com...I really have no idea. And if it were as simple as just deleting the wildcard CNAME record, I don't understand why that 'solution' is never suggested in all the threads I've found about this issue. Instead, posters recommend redirects, or other htaccess configuration changes.

In an nutshell I just want to know whether deleting the wildcard *.mysite.com CNAME record would do the trick...I don't care if gibberish subdomains typed into a browser don't return any page...I just don't want Google indexing an infinite # of subdomain-versions of my site.

**Also, I'd be really curious to know why Google is even finding & indexing these gibberish subdomains to begin with...I thought it built its index only from backlinks...but there aren't any any actual links online to nonsense subdomains...

• HoraceTaws likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

In an nutshell I just want to know whether deleting the wildcard *.mysite.com CNAME record would do the trick.

Yes it will.

But I'm nervous to do that...especially since a poster in the WebmasterWorld thread I linked to above pointed out that even though I might think I only use mysite.com and www.mysite.com, it's possible that I have mail servers set up to use pop.mysite.com or mail.mysite.com...I really have no idea. 

If YOU don't know if you have pop. or mail.  sub-domains set up and being used ... You probably haven't.

The simple thing is to check what the MX records are set to in the zone,  and simply add fixed alias names if necessary. Having a "wildcard" record that has a website which  resolves to ALL names is only necessary if you are running something like WordPress in multi-site mode or you create temporary subs for tracking advertising campaigns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.