• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect Site Map To Fix The Crawl Errors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BloominHuman

BloominHuman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

I recently opened a google.com/webmasters account to better manage my website. Over the years I have accumulated about 50 crawl errors that are reported in my account. Most of these are the result of URL changes I have made.

I wish to "redirect" these old URLs to the current URLs. My guess is that I need to provide Google with a redirect site map to fix the crawl errors. I was able to download the errors which opened on my system as an Excel file. Is there some format I need to follow, perhaps inserting the current URLs in the Excel file and sending it back.

My question is how do I do this?

• Phillipet, MichealNus and Johnnydut like this

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

If you want to redirect the old URLs to current ones, that's really all you need to do. You don't need to provide Google with a "redirect site map," but if any of the bad URLs are listed in your current site map they should certainly be removed, whether they're to be redirected or not -- if they don't resolve properly,. they shouldn't be listed in the sitemap.

#3 BloominHuman

BloominHuman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

At the top of my Site Errors page (google.com/webmasters account), there is a message saying "No errors detected in the last 90 days". This is followed by all the URLs in "error". Sort of confusing.

Now that I have a google.com/webmasters account am finding it difficult to understand how to use and interpret the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.