• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Followed Best Practices, But Page Ranking Extremely Low Throughout. Wh

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DeanpXc

DeanpXc

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hello

I'm Dean and run a small website with the aid of a commercial platform selling used video games that I setup in January. Using a commercial platform, the website design etc was all taken care off, so all I needed to do was learn about SEO and setting up webmaster tools. I read a lot and basics seemed pretty straight forward, but after including appropriate titles and meta descriptions for all my products, I feel half of them are missing from Google (or just extremely low ranked), and the rest ranked lower than other website pages that seems to have no relation to the search query.

I'm under no delusions that my pages will be on the first page of Google just yet, but I can't understand how ones that are with quite specific title rank lower that other pages with titles that have no relation to the search query?

Example 1

Title: LMA Manager 2004 Xbox Original Game - Buy at PixelClassics

Description: Buy LMA Manager 2004 Microsoft Xbox Original PAL football used video game, disc in protective sleeve at PixelClassics. Worldwide shipping & free UK delivery!

H1: LMA Manager 2004 - Xbox Original PAL Used Game - Disc Only

URL: REMOVED

Searched for 'LMA Manager 2004 Xbox' I've checked down to page 20 but no sign of my page, By this point the other pages titles do not match the search query at all with such titles as 'Preloved | second hand xbox in hull games consoles for', 'Second hand lma manager for sale - Electronics' to name but a few.

Searched for 'LMA Manager 2004 Xbox Original Game'. Strangely appears on page 4, but with the H1 title instead of title. I find this often to be the case, but why would actual title be ignored?

Example 2

Title: Final Fight: Streetwise Xbox & 360 Game - Buy at PixelClassics

Description: Buy Mystic Heroes Nintendo GameCube used game, complete at PixelClassics. Worldwide shipping & free UK delivery!

H1: Mystic Heroes GameCube PAL Used Game (Wii Compatible) - Complete

If I search for 'Final Fight Streetwise xbox', my page is nowhere. If I search for 'Final Fight: Streetwise 360', again nowhere, even though the majority of other results shown doesn't have '360' anywhere in their title. If I search for the exact title 'Final Fight: Streetwise xbox & 360' my page does at least show up on page 3, but as this is the exact title, or more of a match than all the other results, shouldn't it really be on page 1?

Example 3

Title: Mystic Heroes GameCube

Description: Buy Mystic Heroes Nintendo GameCube used game, complete at PixelClassics. Worldwide shipping & free UK delivery!

H1: Mystic Heroes GameCube PAL Used Game (Wii Compatible) - Complete

Searched for 'Mystic Heroes GameCube'. Again nowhere to be found in rankings.

Things I've tried...

1. From the beginning, within webmaster tools I have two sites listed, non www and www versions of the same site. I use www, so in both via site settings I set preferred domain to www version. I've only added sitemap to the www version.

2. Tried various different titles and while it appears my site is indexed correctly, the majority of my pages don't seem to rank anywhere near where they should, ie above other pages where titles have a less relation to search term and of my own titles.

I've yet to run adwords campaign as feel I need to get the basics right first, but simply cannot figure out what is the issue here. Can someone inspect my page elements please and see if you can spot any problems, or is there something else I'm missing here with regards to SEO? Any advise would be much appreciated thank you.

Dean

Edited by chrishirst, 15 December 2014 - 12:52 PM.
URLs removed

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

run a small website with the aid of a commercial platform selling used video games that I setup in January

January 2014 presumably?

If so it is far too new in such a competetive market sector.

I use www, so in both via site settings I set preferred domain to www version. I've only added sitemap to the www version.

Have you redirected the URIs on the server as well?

Tried various different titles and while it appears my site is indexed correctly, the majority of my pages don't seem to rank anywhere near where they should,

How do you know where they 'should' rank???

Only Google can make that determination.

I suggest that you read and comprehend ALL the replies in the threads started by reseo given by everybody here who "knows a bit about Search marketing", because there are no "experts" at this forum.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

Have a read of these SEO killers to see if any apply to your site.

#4 DeanpXc

DeanpXc

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Many thanks for your replies, I will read through links given, Sorry about the URL links, but above, I was hoping someone could inspect the header code so I know at least that is OK and not an issue. As mentioned I use a third party for website, and so things like title and meta data is done via GUI, so I have no way to edit header code myself.

January 2014 presumably?

If so it is far too new in such a competetive market sector.

Have you redirected the URIs on the server as well?

How do you know where they 'should' rank???

Only Google can make that determination.

I can confirm I have redirected URL's on server, at least I think I have via the htaccess file to point to www (if that's what you mean?). I fully appreciate what you are saying regarding ranking, and you're right, I have no idea where they should rank, but I just wondered why if when searching for say 'LMA Manager 2004 Xbox' (which is my title), would this completely not appear anywhere, yet other pages with titles such as 'Preloved | second hand xbox in hull games consoles for', and 'Second hand lma manager for sale - Electronics' appear. The search term matches my title far more than it does in the examples given, yet these pages appear and mine doesn't.

Yeah setup Jan 2014 and understand it's a competitive market sector, but just trying to determine if all my my products are indexed as doesn't appear to be the case. Im not sure if 'indexed' is the correct term, but I mean within Google searches. Like you say, I have no idea where pages should rank and only Google can make that determination, but I've read that we should create content for humans and not search engines, so that's what I've done. To me at least if a user searches for 'LMA Manager 2004 Xbox', I'm sure they would much rather a result that closes matches there search term, than ones that don't, yet in the above example this clearly isn't the case.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

yet in the above example this clearly isn't the case.

Not Necessarily, just because you do not see any particular URL in search results does NOT mean that nobody else does.

Check your site logs for search referrals rather than "check rankings" for the off chance that you may see your URLs, and if you do happen to see one of yours, .... It does not mean that anybody else does.

To see if URLs ARE being indexed;

A: Check your site logs for search bots visiting your URLs

B: Do a site: website.tld search at Google or Yahoo! to see if any URLs are returned, ... if so ... your site is being indexed.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

Read the links before continuing to reply, please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.