• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

I Don't Understand This ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:38 AM

Hello everyone,

After 4 month I started my first live test.. a blog, targeting a specific audience. And, my first baby steps are done, and today I am having about 6k visitors per month.

However, I have no experience with AdSense. Just started with it and was wondering about one thing.

I do have one crazy page with about 7k words, that drives about 70% of my entire traffic.

I do have only one AdSense Banner on the top if the page. And since the page is really big with about 7500 words, I am confused about the efficiency of my Google AdSense.

That means.. would I be able to generate more clicks and more money, if I would split this monster page into 10 different pages ?

I know it's important to have lot's of experience in AdSense, to see how many people click, what works better, what doesn't.. and since I just started, I have no data I can look at.

Well.. at least.. I have the data from Google AdSense, can't really tell what it all means... but here we go:

Page RPM: $ REMOVED

CPC: REMOVED

Page CTR: REMOVED

Clicks: 85

Page Views: 10.906

This month I made till today the 13th of December $ 81.97 . Hmm.. so maybe I am going to make roughly about 200$ till the end of the month with my current Site Structure... 

again.. keep in mind.. I only have one AdSense Banner on that one page... that generates this...

So now.. my question is..... would I make more money, by splitting up my 7k page into 10 pages ?

I mean.. one thing is clear.. I could have 9 times more banners, right ?

Not sure if that automatically means, I'll have more clicks... but it's for sure.. more people would see the banner, right ?

Because what's happening right now, is the fact that google points them automatically to the topic they are interested in on my 7k word page... so I am guessing, a specific % will be pointed to the top of the page... but a huge amount will be pointed to the center, or even to the end, etc...  it's the jump to function within the google SERPS...

and that huge % of users, WILL NOT SEE the Banner at the top.. right ?

So I hope I was able to explain my issue.... hard to explain without showing you my website.. .. but don't want to post my URL... maybe I should do a youtube video to show everyone ? 

then the link would go to youtube and not to my site, would that be okay ?

just learned that its not appreciated when posting links to your own website...  even if it's a foreign language, and no one could understand a word... lol: so I am very respectful and don't want to cause any problems by posting a link to my page.. so if a youtube video is ok.. please let me know...

anyways.. curious what you all think about it, if I could generate more clicks by splitting up the page... I mean, just by doing this.. I will not get more visitors...

... and yes.. sorry.. just started with the AdSense thing, and I guess it will take a few years to see how it rolls, gain some more experience, compare collected data.. etc.....

like always, thank you so much for any little help,

any little hints, tips, tricks and thoughts, appreciate it !

Items removed from post because discussing them publicly, contravenes the Adsense terms and conditions you read and agreed to when you signed up for Adsense.

CH

Edited by chrishirst, 13 December 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

That means.. would I be able to generate more clicks and more money, if I would split this monster page into 10 different pages ?

You might, that is what A/B and/or mulivariate  testing is for. To determine the conversion rates of different layouts, ad positions and content.

Edited by chrishirst, 13 December 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:08 AM

Splitting the page into multiple pages is just one way that you can influence your AdSense earnings. We've discussed in another thread the wisdom of having a single page containing a 7,000-word article. Personally, I'm against it. But that doesn't mean that splitting that same 7,000-word article across a series of pages is the solution. A better idea might be to fill the site with smaller articles, each of which would be self-contained, but each related to your main theme.

But, if you really want to stay with such a big page, an alternative solution would be to place two or three separae ad units on the page - perhaps a banner at the top, a text ad in the middle, and another text or graphics ad at the foot. But there's no right or wrong answer to this. You've got to experiment to see what works best for you.

Mike

#4 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

ahaa.. ok.. A/B Testing I see... hmm.. ps.. didn't even know that you can't share any analytics data from AdSense...  good to know.. thx a lot

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

It's not your "analytics" data that is against the T&C, it is anything to do with 'earnings" OTHER than the total monthly or annual figures.

It is done;

A: To prevent Google's payment structure from being reverse engineered.

B: to prevent the Adsense 'beggars' from finding out "most valuable click paying" and then building even crappier M.F.A. 'splogs' based on stealing YOUR content simply because it obviously pays better than the stuff they usually steal and spin.

#6 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

ohh .. hmm.. well, never thought about this.. yeah, can see.. people are more interested in stealing, copying, backlinking, spinning, and all the other bullshit then focusing on their own stuff... 

I noticed that when I started... everybody want's to use a shortcut or whatever.. lot's of crap out there... really hard for beginners... at least, my own personal experience... 

but never really thought about the AdSense stuff.. cause.. I mean... you can anyways see CPC's... so you know, if you target a niche with higher advertiser bids, you will make more money with the clicks.... even if you never can calculate exactly what you will finally make...

Edited by reseo, 14 December 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#7 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:10 AM

ohh.. I actually forgot one thing.. important...

so what I forgot to say is the impact of the ranking.. I don't know how to say, but when ever I used posts only with about 500-1000 words... my ranking was never good...

So to answer the question before.. why I write such huge posts... because when I started testing it, I was super successful in ranking....

just one example:

3 month ago, I started with one monster post in a very competitive market... I started to target tiny markets, so I had better chances to rank. And after my first article, I popped up in the first 100... 

I continued to add more content.. till I ended up having now around 11k words... which is truly insane...

but what is also insane... that little market has around 420 keywords .. a total if you wish... that is related to that topic... and after getting some analytics data from semrush and other tools I am using...

holy molly I am ranking for 400 keywords from the 420... a huge part of it in teh top 10.. more than a dozen of them as #1, #2, #3, #4, and so on.. the worst ones are minor, and are ranking after the #50s.... 

so that being said.. it's very effective, and it's the biggest success I've ever had... the good news is also, that even if I wouldn't rank for one major keyword anymore.. I couldn't care less.. because I am ranking for a few hundreds already....

also keep in mind.. it's absolutely content based, no backlinks, no spinning crap or other BS... just on a regular free wordpress blog...

now knowing this... it's hard for me to go back .. back to write splitted articles, smaller ones.. but yes, I would have the chance to put more AdSense Banner on my articles... because I can use 3 for one article... 

but heck.. I simple fear I could lose all the rankings... I can't tell why google gives such sites so much power, I have no freaking clue... but I was testing it on other sites with other topics... and boom.. same thing....

So what I wanted to point out ... let's say I split it up, let's say I do what everyone in the SEO World is asking me to do.. and almost everyone is shaking his heads about 11k words articles... 

the ranking works great.. 

so what are all your thoughts about this ?

I will try to run a new test with something similar, but this time I will split every single post... if the ranking fails, I will continue posting monster posts... if that's what google want's.. so be it... 

and keep in mind... I do have a Directory on top of the monster posts... this is nothing else as a wonderful super easy navigation menue, built into the page...

so nothing different as if you would browse in a menu, I would say even more powerful, better and easier to navigate for every user....

remember.. I know.. people are flagging me for creating these monster posts, but everyone forgets that you actually can find the content you are looking for easier then if you would look into categories, menue's etc.

and google.. this is weired.. just figured that out a few month ago.. points every user automatically to what he is searching for.. in the SERPS.. google is using in the description the words: JUMP TO.... and boom...

user is pointed exactly to his target - like a sniper !!!

and again.. I have to admit.. I never had such a success.. and I think it's pretty impressive to get 5k visitors within 3 month from ground zero.... with no backlink strategies, no magic plugins or anything like this.. just straight with content...

So what you all think about this ?

Just weired ?

Just a lucky punch ?

your thoughts ?

#8 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:24 AM

when ever I used posts only with about 500-1000 words... my ranking was never good...

But that's not necessarily because the posts were "only" 500 - 1,000 words. That's not an unexceptional length for an article. Why would Google particularly favour it above all the other factors that affect ranking?

So to answer the question before.. why I write such huge posts... because when I started testing it, I was super successful in ranking....

So, you were successful in ranking a 7,000-word article. And then what? You said at the start that you wanted to increase your AdSense earnings. Clearly, those high rankings are not bringing you any nearer to that goal. Wouldn't it be better to focus on things that might have a better effect on the earnings - such as ad placement, number of ad units per page, relevance of the ads that you are attracting?

Mike

• reseo likes this

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:50 AM

And after my first article, I popped up in the first 100...

No suprises there then.

holy molly I am ranking for 400 keywords from the 420... a huge part of it in teh top 10.. more than a dozen of them as #1, #2, #3, #4, and so on.. the worst ones are minor, and are ranking after the #50s....

Or there.

Each and every time you create new, or modify existing documents, the first or next indexing WILL require the document to be re-evaluated and the scoring updated. Because it is much easier to 'score' the document weighting of VERY, VERY large scale databases inversely, (i.e. the 'top' score is 0), new documents with no score at all appear at the top of the list. This has been happening since "Day One" of all search engines.

This IS where the "you need 'fresh' content" myth has grown from. If you search like a "rank checker" you WILL ALWAYS see your 'new' URLs on the first page

and again.. I have to admit.. I never had such a success.. and I think it's pretty impressive to get 5k visitors within 3 month from ground zero.... with no backlink strategies, no magic plugins or anything like this.. just straight with content...

Or there for that matter, if you read many of the first threads here, the advice has  always been "you do not need to 'build backlinks', you need to build [url=http://searchengineland.com/070531-115312.php]Real[i][/i] Content[/url]" that advice hasn't changed since 2003, and a few years before that if you were a member/reader of IHY.

Basically your site has probably amassed many natural links and if you are not adding masses of "unnatural" links, there is nothing to counter the positive weight of the 'good' links, so the majority of links WILL count even if you cannot count them.

You will find in several of my posts on linking where I requote Albert Einstein with "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

See here for more

In what you think of as your 'ignorance' of search engine 'optimising', you ARE doing precisely what Google TRULY 'wants' and because of that, you can and do gain the rewards of what Google devised Adsense for, which is giving something back to the genuinely altruistic website owners and operators who provide good, genuine, helpful content that other people can read, "talk" about and 'pass on' by linking to it naturally.

The best advice is to keep doing that, and while doing so, test alternatives by taking some of your multi-article pages, though not ones that is a really great 'earners' and split it up, but split it in a way that keeps the original page almost intact by creating new pages for the full article whilst keeping your "on document directory" and a snippet of the article with "Read more..." links on that 'page' to the full article URL.

That's not a really difficult thing to add to your wordpress theme if you use categories (and sub-cats) intelligently along with 'tagging' in a smart way that does not devolve into something that does not degenerate into a massive "key" word list.

The newer Wordpress versions (v3 onwards) are much better in their URL structure management because they do not create massive content duplication, as the tags and categories behave like "shortcuts" do, instead of the earlier versions which behaved like 'symbolic links' (hard links in Windows speak) do.

• reseo likes this

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Good writing takes practice. When I was in college I used to write very long essays (far more than was required for the typical 500-word theme format). My professors generally supported my writing style, but one day one of them handed a paper back to me with a "B". He said, "Usually I give you an 'A' but you haven't learned how to start the essay properly. I could cross off the first third of this and everything you need to say would still be there."

Some people struggle with beginnings, some with middles, and some with endings. When your writing is not what it should be it may take you longer to write what you should be writing.

The same is as true for the Web as it is for any college essay. It's not that long form content works better. It's that whatever is working for you does not come out until after you have written some variable number of words.

You have to learn to relax and feel confident in what you are saying. Of course, most professional writers throw out over half of what they write; so you probably need to practice editing your content more.

We all need to practice more. :)
  • reseo likes this

#11 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

@Mikl:

But that's not necessarily because the posts were "only" 500 - 1,000 words. That's not an unexceptional length for an article. Why would Google particularly favour it above all the other factors that affect ranking?

Well, I don't know.. you tell me.... I simple can't tell, I don't know.. and ... I don't care. But it's a fact, as long as I rank and I can achieve my first goal:

#1  targeted traffic.. I am doing something right, and I am happy with

So, you were successful in ranking a 7,000-word article. And then what? You said at the start that you wanted to increase your AdSense earnings. Clearly, those high rankings are not bringing you any nearer to that goal. Wouldn't it be better to focus on things that might have a better effect on the earnings - such as ad placement, number of ad units per page, relevance of the ads that you are attracting?

Right, that's what I already optimized. I got very nice feedback from my heatmaps, and analytics of how many % of my visitors are seeing what, browsing what etc.

after optimizing and running some tests.. I was able to increase my earnings by about 240%.. but yes, I mean.. my earnings are a fart in the wind.. so super small... 240% seems to be a lot, in fact it isnt.. but at least I learned that I was able to optimize it ...

@CHRIS:

Basically your site has probably amassed many natural links and if you are not adding masses of "unnatural" links, there is nothing to counter the positive weight of the 'good' links, so the majority of links WILL count even if you cannot count them.

Hmm.. I don't know.. I can't tell.. there are some tools that can show you some links from other sites, like semrush, semalt, etc.. to be honest.. since I followed your advice to not care about backlinks, not care about all the techncial rotten SEO bible preachers... it works much better for me...

instead waisting lot's of time reading rotten SEO crap from losers and crooks all over the world, shitty plugins, and other BS.. I rather write more content... and so I automatically did the right thing.. focus on your content.. then worring about one lousy article that might not rank... period.. that's my philosophy now.. 

In what you think of as your 'ignorance' of search engine 'optimising', you ARE doing precisely what Google TRULY 'wants' and because of that, youcan and do gain the rewards of what Google devised Adsense for, which is giving something back to the genuinely altruistic website owners and operators who provide good, genuine, helpful content that other people can read, "talk" about and 'pass on' by linking to it naturally.

Fudge yeah, hell yeah, CHRIS FOR PRESIDENT.. cheers man ! looks like I was rewarded exactly for that !

@Michael:

Good writing takes practice. 

Might be.. I can't tell.. I tell you what I do... I don't write any PHD work.. I write like I talk.. and it looks like people like that much more than any doctor's bible BS talk.. lol;

I have seen lot's of ignorant people, who were bullshitting some beginners by telling them.. you better first learn to know the alphabet and right spelling before you continue writing your blog.... 

lol; so many ignorant folks outside.. however, I tell such guys.. don't focus to much on your spelling.. it's ok if your spelling is wrong... just do what you love to do and bring your message to your folks.... focus on your blog... that's it... 

my cookies.. and now it's time for a cool blonde drink.. cheers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.