• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Product Pages--Duplicate Content?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 electronicsunlimited

electronicsunlimited

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

I'm an electrical engineering firm and also sell many products. One product I sell is lithium batteries for design engineers or anyone developing a product requiring a battery. I have a main index page which lists all batteries available. For example, for lithium polymer batteries, I have over 200 different sizes available. On the main index page I have wording to describe the batteries overall. However, clients can click from main index page to a product page for each and every battery. The only differences are the physical size and capacity. In addition to the specifications, I have written descriptions for each battery. If, in the written descriptions, the words are the same for each product page EXCEPT the size and capacity of the battery, will Google view that as duplicate content and penalize my website?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

Do Amazon get "penalised" for such things??????

#3 electronicsunlimited

electronicsunlimited

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

That's a great question, Chris. Since you're asking, I imagine the answer is NO. However, after reading this forum, it seems to me that having 200 product pages with a 300 word description with the only difference in all the words is a few minor changes in the description with only a few minor words words changed, I thought perhaps it would be considered duplicate content. I've pasted an example below with changes from product to product highlighted in red. All other content remains the same.

Here's an example. I've only changed the voltage:

Example 1: 

Regulated 9V DC/DC converter

This 9 volt output DC to DC converter is a weatherproof switching power converter (switchmode) that takes an input of between 10.5 to 28 volts DC and provides a regulated 9 volts on the output at 5 amps. The input voltage must be 1.5 volts higher than desired set-point for the output voltage to remain stable. This converter is manufactured in the USA to high quality standards. Its rugged design allows it to be operated continuously at 75 degrees celsius. The output voltage can be set in the field but we highly recommend letting us do it in our facility.

Rugged DC/DC converters

This switch mode converter is designed with short circuit, over-current, and over temperature protection to ensure reliability. When the input voltage ranges between 10.5VDC and 28VDC, it provides a continuous output voltage of 9 volts DC. It functions continuously at the maximum operating temperature range of -40°C to 75°C with a maximum output ripple of 10mV p-p and maximum switching noise level of 90mV p-p. See specifications tab for further details

Key features of this 9 volt DC/DC converter
  • Line regulation of ± 0.5% and load regulation ± 1.0%
  • Made in the USA
  • Comes in 3amp and 5amp versions (waterproofing available)
  • Easy to use
  • Weighs 108 grams (3.8 ounces)

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Since Chris mentioned Amazon, it's worth taking a look at how they handle this situation. I don't know about batteries, but for clothing they usually have a single page for all sizes of a given product. You select the size you want from a drop-down. Doing so will change the price (if applicable) and possibly the availability of the product. But - importantly - you are still at the same URL. So there can be no question of duplicate content.

SEO apart, I would think this is a better plan than the one that you are using for your site. After all, if someone searches for a specific type or make of battery, it is surely better to take them straight to the page from which they can purchase that battery, rather than having them land on a page for the correct product but a different size, and therefore requiring them to navigate somewhere else before they can click the Buy button.

Just a thought.

Mike

• electronicsunlimited likes this

#5 electronicsunlimited

electronicsunlimited

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Mike,

You just spurred a thought in my mind. While engineers and engineering types LOVE a dedicated product page which contains full specifications, pdf data sheets, ultra detailed information, etc. it probably wouldn't be good to have someone land on a page from the search engines with the incorrect size. The main index page is probably the best landing page. I may consider making individual product pages NO INDEX/NO FOLLOW and focus on making the main index page highly useful and then make blog posts pointing back to that page. When I look at Mouser, I believe that's how they do it. Dude...thanks for the thought.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

It's all a matter of scale, a few dozen or a few hundred pages of mainly 'boiler plate' text for a parent domain name (website) that is selling a range of products is ALWAYS going to happen, so it is perfectly normal and is probably  NOT going to be 'penalised', 'filtered', certainly but penalised ... unlikely.

Penalties are given  for deliberately trying to manipulate results not for selling a range of products that are ostensibly identical.

Now if you had a hundred individual domains all "tuned" for each battery type, .... .... THAT; As they say, would be a whole different can of worms.

Edited by chrishirst, 09 December 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

IMO it would definitely be duplicate content.

That said, why not have one page and have specific pulldown menus for the various sizes (or whatever) options?

#8 electronicsunlimited

electronicsunlimited

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:43 PM

Thank you all. We have an existing site with 10,000 to 12,000 hits/day mostly from information pages the CEO created over the years and we're wanting to create this one with a different look and feel to compete with ourselves. I have some thinking to do. Engineers definitely want a product page. Perhaps I'll keep the product index grid in place and simply add a pdf data sheet with ALL specs and ditch the individual product pages altogether.I'll create product attributes and enter filterable information so I can take your suggestion, Jill, and create a dropdown menu to filter the results.Thanks again for the insight. This forum is a TREASURE. :) 

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

IMO it would definitely be duplicate content.

Of course it is duplicate content, that goes without saying, but is it the type of duplication that will be penalised?

For me the answer is no, because it is not deliberate, not misleading or intended to manipulate search results or users.

It is what it is!

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

We have an existing site with 10,000 to 12,000 hits/day mostly from information pages the CEO created over the years and we're wanting to create this one with a different look and feel to compete with ourselves. I

Bad idea. Why not redo or add to the original site?

Of course it is duplicate content, that goes without saying, but is it the type of duplication that will be penalised?

I haven't done SEO or reviewed sites in over a year, but last time I checked tons of sites were losing traffic due to those sorts of pages.  Intention hasn't mattered for many year once panda and penguin were born. 

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

Do NOT use the "nofollow" directive in your robots meta tag. Just use "noindex,follow" if you decide to do that.

Frankly, I would consider adding more content to those pages since each battery size cannot possibly serve the same kinds of devices. There is plenty of opportunity to differentiate the content even when the only difference in technical specification is size.

Amazon also recommends other products on its product pages, including through user-generated content and automatically-generated similar content listings.

You cannot be Amazon but you can use some of their ideas on a smaller scale.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

The problem with ALL these "duplicate content" is that they pre-suppose that search engines (implying Google) IS the one and ONLY place traffic will come from and the pages of any particular website among a thousand other ARE  going to be the ones that Google shows to their users.

People, PLEASE do NOT be so arrogant AND short sighted.

Google is NOT the 'only game in town' and your website pages are simply NOT that 'special'! If you FORGET ABOUT Google your life as a marketer / optimiser will be MUCH easier and you can get on with the REAL job of getting conversions from your site documents. And if Google or Yahoo!/Bing just happen to send traffic your way, it WILL convert ... ... and it is a bonus!

Edited by chrishirst, 10 December 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

I should have previously pointed to this dupe content article here as well:

http://www.highranki...tent-google-346

and while google isn't the only game it town it's certainly the major one. Ignoring it completely as a website owner would not be very smart, IMO. 

#14 electronicsunlimited

electronicsunlimited

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

Jill-I appreciate the advice re: adding to current website versus creating a new one. The issue is the current website is managed by one person whose creativity has peaked. He happens to be the owner of the company so he's very protective of the site. We considered this for 2 years and decided a fresh perspective will likely increase business significantly over a few year time period. I want to blog. He doesn't. I'm bringing in new product lines. He's closed to that idea. Other similar product lines we can introduce on the new website would be redundant on the current site and confusing. Overall we feel it'll be worth the effort. Oh...and I get to prove myself so he feels confident in selling me the company in a few years. Cheers.

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.