• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Webmaster Tool: Fetch/render Partial ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hello Hello,

after learning a lot in SEO and in terms of content creation and thx to all of your help (I really mean it) I was mainly focusing on content creation.

I started a new blog and within 3 month I am having now around 4k visitors just from organic traffic and the SERPS. Yuhuuu.. my first success story., even if I don't really make any money.. but at least a starting point with traffic.

However, even that traffic doesn't mean anything. My bounce rate is high, visitors are only for 2 minutes on a page, and I don't even have anything to sell yet. No products, etc.

However... my first goal was clear. Making sure I create user targeted content, and without any backlink strategy (absolute 0 backlinks) I am able to get that traffic. Makes me really happy.

And now, after all that learning .. and testing, and just focusing on content... BOOM... I feel like a truck hit me.

I didn't look at my google webmaster tool, and just my latest page I created... I realized this page and my content isn't anywhere to find in the google serps. Absolute nothing.

I was waiting for over two weeks, since I said to myself.. I just focus on my content, and all the other technical crap about google, I simple don't care.

However.. now.. after two weeks, I became a bit suspicious. Why is this page not showing up anywhere ? And what about my other articles ? 

So I open Google Webmaster Tool, and I tried to fetch and render one of my new pages.

BOOM. And here we go.

I got ERRORS also indicating that my page is rendered only PARTIAL.

uff.. I checked the render and yes, only 25% of my page is actually fetched and rendered.

That hurts, since I put so much efforts in the content, and now.. google doesn't read it.

I don't have many pages, just a few ones.. but each has at least 7k words and more.

I read that the robots.txt file is blocking something and causing that error... but I also checked .. and my robots.txt file looks good.

User-agent: *
Disallow: /wp-admin/
Disallow: /feed
Disallow: /*/feed
Allow: /wp-content/uploads/

So yeah, I do have a simple WordPress Page. Just with the latest twentyfourteen theme. Nothing special, just raw text and a few images.

I don't get it... soo.. what do I have to do that my page content will be read 100% and that the status jumps from PARTIAL to COMPLETE ?

Or was there any recent update from google, that stops reading content on pages after x-amount of words ? I am totally lost now !

Thank you so much for any little help !

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

but each has at least 7k words and more.

And you wonder why visitors do not stay around??????????

Would YOU bother reading a magazine or newspaper where EVERY page was an ENTIRE BOOK????????

#3 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

Well, I do have an index (Bullet Point Jump Board on each page) which is super slick and easy to navigate. Boom.

I also have to say, does it really matter if you do have one page with more content or split up into a few dozen of pages ?

In my opinion (warning: I can be pigheaded.. lol;) it doesn't. Well, let me correct.. it actually does for ranking. My google Analytics report does proof it.

However, that's actually not the topic... the topic is why google is not able to fetch and render a simple page with text only plus a few super optimized images....

doesn't make any sense.. does it ?

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:05 AM

I don't have many pages, just a few ones.. but each has at least 7k words and more.

Pehaps the following will help:

- A typical newspaper article, such as an op-ed, book review or a short feature (not news): 1,000 to 1,500 words.

- A feature article in a mass-market magazine: 1,000 to 2,500 words.

- An in-depth feature (such as a cover story) in a business or technical magazine: 2,000 to 3,000 words.

- A learned article or research paper in a professional journal: 3,000 to 6,000 words.

So, 7,000 words would make a very long article indeed. Not quite a book, as Chris suggested, but much more than most people would want to read at one sitting.

The solution is not necessarily to break the article into multiple pages, but rather to ask yourself if your visitors are really looking for such large chunks of information. Maybe you should offer lots of smaller articles rather than just a few mega-sized ones.

Mike

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

If they're not indexing them, look for a technical reason. That will definitely be it, not the number of words.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

[warning!] this post may contain comments created by a sardonic sense of humour and the occasional impulse for the author to wax lyrical.

In my opinion (warning: I can be pigheaded..

No kidding? Can't say I had  noticed :shades:

However, that's actually not the topic... the topic is why google is not able to fetch and render a simple page with text only plus a few super optimized images....

doesn't make any sense.. does it ?

Actually it does, the "fetch as Googlebot" feature is NOT a complete index of the content at the URL. It is ONLY a quick check to see if the URL CAN be requested by Google's user agent. It does not hang about waiting for the data stream to complete. It reads the response status, and if it is HTTP: 200, grabs what data it can then breaks the connection, it's raison d'etre after being called into existence, fulfilled.

Well, I do have an index (Bullet Point Jump Board on each page) which is super slick and easy to navigate. Boom.

Oh man! You are writing documents for people to read and possibly buy something from you, it's not a treatise on the ascent of man or a technical analysis of the company assets.

If you want people to actually read what you have to say, .... about anything it needs to be interesting and (to use a word I dislike intensely in this context) 'engaging'. [aside] Note for the 'mericans, The word for literary works that can hold people's attention is 'captivating' [/aside]

Nobody in their right mind is going to be captivated by something that looks to be written by an accountant or a lawyer.

Bullet points work for technical specifications and the like but for general reading, ... not so much.

7,000 words with bullet points???? Can you imagine "War and Peace" with 'bullet points'???

If you want people to read your documents first and then take your "call to action" .... make them interesting.

If you want people to go immediately to the call to action without reading too much, .... Use bullet points.

Edited by chrishirst, 27 November 2014 - 09:35 AM.
spelling

#7 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hello Hello,

that makes all sense. But regardless if 7k words are to much or not for the viewer, what about the technical side of google ?

I mean, even if I do have 7k words written as simple text on one page.. google can't handle it ?

So for example. I do have 57 Points on the final page.

Google has cached the page. When I click on the cache result, I can see that only 30 points are cached.

That is actually the technical thing or issue I am trying to figure out.

• Does that mean, google doesn't recognize all of my content ?
  • Does it mean, google has a limitation to read content of pages ?

That's what I am trying to figure out.

• Does google recognize ALL of the CONTENT, yes or no ?
  • Or does the caching from google mean nothing ?

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

However, even that traffic doesn't mean anything. My bounce rate is high, visitors are only for 2 minutes on a page, and I don't even have anything to sell yet. No products, etc.

Stop right there. Looking at aggregate bounce rates is a waste of time. And you have no idea of how much time a visitor spends on your site because their last action is never recorded by analytics.

I got ERRORS also indicating that my page is rendered only PARTIAL.

uff.. I checked the render and yes, only 25% of my page is actually fetched and rendered.
That hurts, since I put so much efforts in the content, and now.. google doesn't read it.

I read that the robots.txt file is blocking something and causing that error... but I also checked .. and my robots.txt file looks good.

User-agent: *
Disallow: /wp-admin/
Disallow: /feed
Disallow: /*/feed
Allow: /wp-content/uploads/

I saw that you are using the Twenty Fourteen theme. But are you using any plugins that allow you to hide content behind tabs? Google won't index content that is not immediately visible to the user.
  • reseo likes this

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

That is actually the technical thing or issue I am trying to figure out.

• Does that mean, google doesn't recognize all of my content ?
  • Does it mean, google has a limitation to read content of pages ?

That's what I am trying to figure out.

Does it REALLY matter?????

If the document at that URL is of little use to REAL USERS does it matter how much Google indexes? It is NOT going to convert any visitors, so whether the REAL "googlebot"  has indexed the whole thing or not is of little consequence.

Optimising mean making your pages 'optimal' for conversions from users of search NOT the automated search engine bot, IT does not have a credit card, IT does not click through to any advertising you may have.

First off, look at WHY visitors from whatever source bounce right off again, THAT should be your main concern, not why a page status check does not get all the content.

If you search at Google for that SPECIFIC page (pr pages) then check the 'cached copy' to see if all the content has been indexed THAT would be the RIGHT way to check for "how much" content is being retrieved during a crawl, rather than using something that is not intended to fetch the whole document.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

@RESEO

Highlight a few words from the end of one of the pages, put it in quotes and search for it on Google.

If your page shows up, they're indexing it, if not, they're not.

Easy-peasy.

• ochena921 likes this

#11 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:40 AM

@Michael:

thx a lot Michael.. appreciate it...  yes, I use the standard twenty fourteen.. so nothing special, just want to keep it simple. 

Hmm.. not sure what you meant with your question... if I am using any plugins to hide content behind tabs ? What should that be ? 

@Chris:

hmm.. yeah man, I see your point.. like it....and again, I stopped thinking about the technical crap... I don't like it anyways.. really.. that's the most annoying part for me... all the technical stuff... uuahhhh.... I rather spend time in creating more content.. lol;

so I checked the cached copy. but for reasons I can't tell, the cached copy is back from October... holy molly....

@Jill:

yes.. yes, yes.. I did it.. and my site was found.. so I guess you are right.. looks like the stuff is fully crawled, even if webmaster shows it was rendered only partial... fudge it... I don't care about this rotten technical crap anymore.. was always holding me back, worried away to much, wasted to much time on that in the past and won't do it again.... lol; at least, I try hard !!!!! 

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:45 AM

so I checked the cached copy. but for reasons I can't tell, the cached copy is back from October

It doesn't matter what 'date' it is from, was it all there?

I don't care about this rotten technical crap anymore..

Excellent plan, the only 'technical' stuff to really bother about is:

Can my 'stuff' be indexed?

and from only one URL per document.

#13 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

well.. the cached pages.. I can't tell anymore.. because how I did it... .. I started with one article, added the next one, the next one the next one, etc... soo.. I always added the content to the same post, updated .. boom. published...

so when ever I posted another article, I added it on top of it... so you can see, I can't really track it back anymore what I published on a specific day back in october...

but when I was searching for my text within quotes in google... my site popped up.. meaning it's been indexed... 

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

I started with one article, added the next one, the next one the next one, etc... soo.. I always added the content to the same post, updated .. boom. published...

See? Now why would you even start doing that??

It makes no sense from a site management point of view.

It makes no sense from a content management point of view (especially  before there WERE content management systems).

And it makes no sense from a reading point of view, (unless it is a dictionary or encyclopedia of course)

It's not like a physical book where your 'book mark', even if it is only a folded piece of toilet roll, can be left under the last line or paragraph you have read.

#15 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

hmm.. good point.. so u are saying, when ever I finished writing a post.. close it.. and then write the next one.. a new one.. close it, and keep going... instead of adding content over and over again to one post... right ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.