• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Ranking When Keyword Is The Same As The Brand Name

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LuvHlpPls

LuvHlpPls

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hi there, I'm hoping for some great advice here!!

I have a site that has always enjoyed strong rankings for more than 5 years. I noticed today, doing a search for one of my main keywords (which also appears in my brand) shows a smaller, new competitor whose brand name and domain name happens to be an exact match on the particular search phrase. It goes something like this:

Keyword phrase: word1 word2
My brand: Name word2 Name word1
Competitor brand name: word1 word2

So, whilst my brand contains the keywords they are not exact match.

Now, I must say that when I do the search the competitor comes up 5th. However, when my CEO does it the competitor comes 1st. Aside from localisation and personalistation which I understand, what's the best way to combat this? 

This competior has 1/100th of pges indexed compared to my site, 34 for total links from 1 referrer (site-wide navigation).

I thought it my be new site honeymoon period but I need to come up with a strategy to keep the competitor at bay and below my listing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

Now, I must say that when I do the search the competitor comes up 5th. However, when my CEO does it the competitor comes 1st. Aside from localisation and personalistation which I understand, what's the best way to combat this?

Tell your boss to STOP looking at meaningless 'rankings'

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

http://webmaster-tal...he-google-dance

AND if you understand personalisation of search results you should have already explained this to them

I thought it my be new site honeymoon period but I need to come up with a strategy to keep the competitor at bay and below my listing.

Be much better at optimising and promotion and STOP following or copying  what "they" do ... because you will ALWAYS be behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.