• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Geographic Domain Extensions And Seo..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theviewer1985

theviewer1985

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hi Guys

There is a client with a barbers who is called barberforgent

He really wants to have the domain barberfor.gent

It is a cool idea, and .gent has recently become available, but it is primarily aimed at the town called Ghent in austria (my client is in UK but does advertise internationally). I have done some research on googles take on geographic domains and it does seem to have a negative impact  on SEO unless you are in the actual location of the domain. But they only used the old extensions as an example (.ie and .to ect) not the new funky domains.

So my question is, will .gent have a negative impact on SEO and link my client to Austria and handicap his rankings in other countries?

Thanks

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

I have done some research on googles take on geographic domains and it does seem to have a negative impact  on SEO unless you are in the actual location of the domain.

Nope. It MAY have a positive effect if the searcher is in or near that location, but there is no 'negative' effect if they are not.

AND it IS only ccTLD (Country Code Top Level Domains) the DO have a slight influence, generic TLDs (.org, .com, .info etc.) do not have any localisation effect.

THIRDLY: Choose a domain that can be branded and is memorable NOT one for some dubious and VERY MINOR search influence.

Oh and Barber Forge New Technology?? What is that?

:dntknw: 

#3 theviewer1985

theviewer1985

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the answer.

No ignore the name, it's just random made up one as I didn't want to say the real one in a public forum before he registers it. The only truth was the .gent part

Yes he wants the domain to be memorable but was afraid Google UK wouldn't rank him highly if .gent domains are meant for the Austrian town Ghent.

So if your sure that it won't have a negative impact, I'll get it registered. Thanks :-D

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

.gent is NOT a ccTLD so will probably never be used for localisation because:

A ) Ghent (,gent) in Belgium is not a country.

B ) DNS resolution is not sufficiently granular to identify an individual town a visitor is from.

C ) .gent TLD is unrestricted registration ie. you do not require a physical presence in Ghent to register a .gent hostname so a .gent name does NOT indicate that the website owner or the business is actually in Ghent. Because of this  the .gent name is being used purely as a 'vanity' TLD in the same way that .ws (Western Samoa) was used for .WebSite and .tv (The Tuvalu islands) became .TeleVision.

Edited by chrishirst, 26 November 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

... the town called Ghent in austria

I was about to point out that Ghent is in Belgium, not Austria. But Chris beat me to it.

Actually, Ghent used to be in Austria - when Belgium was part of the Austrian Netherlands. But that ended in 1797. Clearly  your client hasn't read the newspapers recently.

Mike

• chrishirst likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.