• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo Optimization For Different Spellings Of Our Brand

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Flippyr

Flippyr

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hi, 

Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself as I'm new to both this forum and the world of SEO!

We are a startup company and we have to date, done all of our web design in house. After 6 months trading we find that it is difficult for our clients to search for us due to the spelling of our company name. 

I am looking to build upon my overall skills of SEO and further develop our website to gain a better online presence combined with better search engine rankings. 

With that in mind, the issue above is what is most affecting is at the minute. 

Say our company name was Tekno, yet all of our clients are searching Techno. They cant see it on google. Given the obscure spelling of our brand, i was wondering if it was feasible to better our search engine rankings through different spellings?

Look forward to your replies

Thanks 

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

It's called branding, and it is up to you to make the name 'stick' with customers NOT leave it up to the search engines.

After 6 months trading we find that it is difficult for our clients to search for us due to the spelling of our company name.

Then you are not doing a good job of branding OR you chose the wrong company name to start with.

However, having said that,  SIX months is nowhere near long enough to be concerned about this, it isn't even long enough to be getting good Search results and it can take YEARS to build a really good 'brand' especially if your business is in a competitive market place.

Do you have a real branding campaign in place?;

With paid advertising?

'News' plugs with press releases?

mail shots, both email and snail mail?

Have you done ANYTHING other than expecting search engines to bring you traffic?

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

This could be an excellent application for paid advertising (i.e. PPC). You can target any/all of the misspellings of your name (being sure to use negative keywords to prevent your ads for being served for completely irrelevant inquries -- i.e. "techno music").

For organic search, to start with you're better off focusing on search phrases that describe what you do or what you offer and phrases that describe your customers' pain points. Those phrases are much more likely to be searched on than the name of your company, at least at first. And they will serve a a great way to introduce yourself to potential customers while you're working on branding your company name.

In the long run, having a "differently" spelled name can be a good thing because it is more likely to be trademarkable (hard to get a trademark on a commonly-spelled word) and memorable/brandable. But first you have to create the brand through means other than search. You can't expect people to search on your company name if they've never heard of the company, right? The search results on your company name will follow after you've established the brand.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Ron Carnell likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.