• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Concerned About Long Tail Traffic Stats - What To Do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamesisapayne

jamesisapayne

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me :-)

We have a website that is getting good traffic numbers 300-350k unique visits per month minimum but our time on site and pages per visitor are decreasing while the bounce rate is around the 80% mark. I know this is very high but I want to understand why this is happening.

A couple of years ago we decided to go down the long tail traffic route and look to slowly build traffic over time without any short term quick fixes, and although our traffic numbers have more than doubled over the last year, I'm concerned that we're heading in the wrong direction.

We do get a lot of social referrals and although I expect the bounce rate, time on site etc to be lower for these users, the traffic coming from organic search isn't far behind :-(

Is it a site design/usability issue, or are we too focused on long tail traffic that dips out as soon as they get the info they want?

Thanks.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

while the bounce rate is around the 80% mark. I know this is very high

Actually it is meaningless with qualifying  WHAT traffic is 'bouncing'

http://webmaster-tal.../19-bounce-rate

"Time on site" is an equally useless metric with some qualifier.

Is it a site design/usability issue

Probably not.

or are we too focused on long tail traffic that dips out as soon as they get the info they want?

Doubtful, genuine "long tail traffic" is the result of highly specific searching so is LESS likely to just leave without some other 'on site' activity.

High 'bounce' rate from 'Social Media' means you are reaching the WRONG  audience or are not being specific enough with the pages (URLs) you are promoting.

High 'Bounce' from 'organic traffic' is fairly 'normal' because of the "tyre kickers".

#3 jamesisapayne

jamesisapayne

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:47 AM

Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply. What's a 'tyre kicker'?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

What's a 'tyre kicker'?

It's a euphemism for time wasters, a phrase borrowed from the motor trade and refers to people who visit second hand car dealers, usually on a Sunday and wander around the merchandise kicking the odd tyre here and there to see if they are inflated but have little or no intention of buying anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.