• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie Question About Including A Link

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 BloominHuman

BloominHuman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

Greetings from Houston!

I built my own photo business website about 12 years ago. I learned my SEO basics from Robert Woodhead's selfpromotion.c website.

In recent years my Google search results have really suffered and I'm trying to figure out why.

I was reading an article by Jill in High Rankings: "Sneaky Footer Links and Other Footer Abuses That Google Dislikes" from January 16, 2013. She said "…if you feel it's a great way to get new pages crawled and indexed, you'd be much better served by submitting an auto-generated XML sitemap to Google using your Webmaster Tools account."

Somewhere along the way I learned that having a site index at the footer of each page was helpful for indexing by spiders. Now I'm concerned that it may be detrimental. If you scroll down to the footer of this REMOVED you will see the sitemap containing links to all pages on my site. Every page of my website has the same sitemap in the footer.

Should I remove these from my webpages ?

Thanks!

Edited by chrishirst, 07 November 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:07 AM

Should I remove these from my webpages ?

Absolutely and unequivocally YES! They patently and obviously have only one purpose and that is not to be useful for real users.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

If you think users would benefit from seeing a list of every page on the site, create a sitemap page (in addition to the XML sitemap Jill's article recommends) and link to that from your footer.

Unless the site is very small, it's usually pretty important to use internal linking to structure the site in such a way that indicates which pages are more important than others. There should be hub pages that link to related sub-pages so that users can follow a path from general to specific. If every page links to every other page, you're telling both users and search engines that every page is as important as every other page, and that basically means that no page is important.

#4 BloominHuman

BloominHuman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:13 AM

Is there any way to have a link or some other reference to my website so that I can somehow point to a page of my website that I need help with?

I am not spamming, I just want to communicate!

FYI: that is why the Title of this post sounded irrelevant to my sitemap query - I forgot to change it before I published the post!

Thanks

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:40 AM

Absolutely. It's your site, it's your page on your site, so if you want the people who are reading one of your pages to read a particular other page, you can let them know about it with a link. But do it in a way that makes sense: put the link on pages that have some relevance to the page you're linking to, and let people know why it's relevant.

Google has been making improvements to the way they judge links for years, and one of those improvements is an effort to understand context and relevance. A link that shows up in the same spot of every page of a site (such as the footer or sidebar) says something very different from a link that appears within the main content of a page. The latter, when it's done right, tells users and search engines that the content of one page is closely related to the content of the other.

Now, if you're asking about getting a link to this page on other sites, you can do that too. It's just a lot harder, because you have to convince the owner of the other site that linking to this particular page of yours will benefit the readers of their site. And don't offer payment of any kind, or tell them what you want the anchor text of the link to be, especially if you're planning on getting links from numerous sites.

#6 BloominHuman

BloominHuman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

Querty,

I guess my question was not clear...

Is there a correct way to post a link on THIS FORUM in order to point to a page of my website regarding questions that I need help with?

The [Board Rules said this was illegal ???

Thanks

Edited by chrishirst, 08 November 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

It's not "illegal" because nobody is going to get arrested and charged with a crime.

But linking to sites and posting 'key' words is not allowed because pages on this forum are very likely to displace the pages that you are talking about in search results, albeit temporarily, and if you describe the issue adequately we don't really need to see the pages.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

Is there a correct way to post a link on THIS FORUM in order to point to a page of my website regarding questions that I need help with?

No, sorry. You'll have to try a different forum for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.