• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Redirect .com To .co.uk For Better Uk Listings?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

My company has an extremely established website which has been live since 2001. It currently gets around 5,000 visits a day, the majority through organic listings and the site has around 3,500 pages, with unique content added daily.

We are a UK-based company but the site is .com. Over the years our international organic online exposure has become very prominent, especially in the US. Only 29.5% of our organic traffic comes from the UK, whilst 26.8% comes from the US (if you include Canada, it adds up to more visits than the UK) and the rest comes from other countries.

The problem is, our UK-based traffic is much more valuable than our international traffic and I am worried that our '.com' status could be affecting the UK listings because Google thinks we are an international company. We do have our address etc. clearly listed on our contacts page and it is quite clear to a human being that we are a UK company, but perhaps the Google spiders see things differently. We offer services internationally, but would sacrifice international traffic for stronger UK leads.

We have the .co.uk version of the URL, and it has always redirected to the main .com URL. Would it be worth switching the main domain to .co.uk or would this be a risk? I worry that because we have never actually had .co.uk as the main domain it will not have the history that the .com domain has.

I used to work hard on increasing traffic internationally but now I believe that it would be much more worthwhile if the UK traffic was significantly increased, even if it sacrificed some of the .com traffic.

What would the likely outcome of running the site off .co.uk and redirecting the .com domain to this URL? Would UK visits increase significantly? Would international visits decrease significantly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

Would UK visits increase significantly? Would international visits decrease significantly?

Probably not and ... ... Well, ... Probably not.

but would sacrifice international traffic for stronger UK leads.

Google isn't stopping you doing that.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

Have you considered using the Country setting in Google Webmaster Tools (under Search Traffic / International Targeting)? This will tell Google that the UK is your main target. As far as I know, it won't have a big influence, but it might be of some help in achieving your goals.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.