• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Facebook Likes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thor

Thor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hi guys

I am new here and quite new to SEO, Marketing etc. Been working as marketing coordinator for a Norwegian company in about 1 year now. 

Here is the thing; My boss gave me a challenge, "get 500 Facebook likes on our page within 1 week and I will buy you a new phone". As my phone is useless and I am broke I really want to succeed. I have one day left and only have 320 likes in total... :cry2:

Been trolling the web for answers about how I can get more likes quickly but seems to be too difficult of a challenge for a n00b like me lol... 

Ive invited friends. Sent messages. Sharing posts. Been posting continuously good articles for months and have had weekly campaigns...

Any help and tips given is greatly appreciated. Please help me get to the finish line :)

Kind regards, Thor Henrik from Norway...  :hi:

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

Here is the thing; My boss gave me a challenge, "get 500 Facebook likes on our page within 1 week and

You have an idiot for a boss.

• Mikl, KickBoostSEO and MatchingHtmlPatterns like this

#3 Thor

Thor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:20 AM

You have an idiot for a boss.

Hi, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your answer even though it was highly unlikely that it was meant more than a sarcastic attack towards my request on getting help. 

For your information; My boss is an extremely intelligent man, he has setup numerous successful I-gaming sites, web-development companies and the list goes on.

I wanted to get some helpful information about how I can generate more "likes" into our page quickly without paying. I have done what I can this week and therefore I would still be thankful for any ideas you guys might have for me! I still have 8 hours left.

Please, help?  

Kind regards, Thor.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

For your information; My boss is an extremely intelligent man, he has setup numerous successful I-gaming sites, web-development companies and the list goes on.

Maybe, but when it comes down to "SEO" he is somewhere to the left of clueless.

And it is NOT meant as a "sarcastic attack", because,  if it was ... I can assure you that you would be left in NO DOUBT whatsoever over the intent of the post. I simply give you the truth, I realise that is a rare thing these days because nobody wants to be honest with people. They would rather offer useless platitudes so nobody gets 'upset'.

The point is that other than feeding your desperate 'need' for a new phone getting "facebook 'likes' " will do absolutely useful nothing at all. Especially when you are basically begging at forums to get them!

Now if this is your idea of 'marketing' I suggest that you start looking through the "Situations Vacant" section of your local paper, because you ARE going to need a new line of employment sooner rather than later.

To learn what marketing and optimisation REALLY is start HERE.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Here's the thing: getting likes, shares, or even links, are not the goals you should be aiming for. They're really just side effects of doing other things right, and even that is only true in some circumstances. If you had your 500 likes and dug into them, you'd likely find that many of them were bots -- famous Italian football players who somehow live in Cairo, have liked a million pages, and never posted anything.

In fact, you can buy likes like that. I don't know what it costs, but probably less than the cost of a new phone if all you need is a few hundred. Of course, having them doesn't accomplish anything more than making you able to say (to people like your boss) that you have them.

#6 Thor

Thor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hey guys, 

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the time and effort. 

Here is the thing. I am aware of what you are saying, these kinds of random likes are not what we should be aiming for, I completely agree and so does my boss. We do SEO, Google Adwords, Campaigns, post 2-3 times a day per page and link up to Twitter, Google + via our respective Facebook accounts. 

My boss challenged me to get more likes on the page, he asked me to try my best and get relevant likes. I haven't managed to reach the target that was set.

So I am extremely sorry if I have offended anyone by asking for tips/ideas. 

Its pointless asking for help I guess. 

Have a nice weekend to the both of you.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

If the goal is simply to get more likes, regardless of the quality of the likes, go out to Fiverr. You could probably have the remaining 180 likes in a matter of minutes. Your boss gets his 500 likes, you get your phone, everybody has a happy weekend.

Beyond that, though, it sounds as though you're doing the right sort of stuff to promote your content. If getting more likes is the goal, your boss should be pleased that you managed to get 320, working by yourself and (apparently) with little to no budget. (And you can tell him I said he should buy you the phone anyway. 320 likes in one week is nothing to sneeze at. :) )

I think there is value to be found in connecting with our customers via social channels. I also think a whole lot of people out there are doing it wrong, but that doesn't mean the channels themselves are worthless. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Michael Martinez likes this

#8 Goozleology

Goozleology

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

Perhaps your boss isn't stupid but he's definitely ignorant when it comes to Facebook likes. Hell, I'm ignorant when the topic is opera or fashion. But it is a little worrying that he's just looking for "likes" since you could get 500 likes for $5 on Fiverr. But those likes wouldn't help your business and would likely even hurt it.

In fact, Copyblogger had an interesting article this week about why they're killing their Facebook page: http://www.copyblogg...m/bye-facebook/

And, I can't remember where I found it but there was another pretty funny video that lamblasting FB for it's "engagement" criteria.

The real problem is that it seems that he doesn't have an objective for his Facebook marketing or you haven't told us what it is. Without a marketing objective, you'd just be wasting your time. Now, if he bought you a new phone to be the social media manager or something that would be the beginning of a plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.