• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does Google Give A Boost For Norton And/or Mcafee Trust Seals?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ecommSEO

ecommSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hi.

It's been pretty well documented that using one or both of these seals increased conversions. What I'd like to know is if Google values either one of these and actually gives sites a boost when it knows that it has been verified by one or more well established 3rd parties. What about EV SSL certificates?

I'm sure it's almost impossible to test but does anyone have any inside information regarding 3rd party trust programs or anecdotal evidence that would justify the considerable extra expense for a small ecommerce startup?

Thanks.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Of course they don't.

#3 ecommSEO

ecommSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

Of course they don't.

Why do you say that?

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Earlier this year Google announced it would give a very slight boost to Websites that are using SSL certificates (publishing via HTTPS protocol rather than HTTP protocol) but so far it doesn't seem to matter much and they are cautioning people not to expect too much.

As for "seals", Google isn't about to fall for something like that.

#5 ecommSEO

ecommSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

As for "seals", Google isn't about to fall for something like that.

I'm not talking about Google giving credit just because a site has a bunch of seals on it.

I'm talking about well established companies like Symantec, McAfee and BBB that do 3rd party verification of a company, website, owners, etc.

If you have 100 websites selling the same thing, and 10% of them have EV SSL certs and other 3rd party verification, it would be in Google's interest to have them a little higher since there would be less risk to Google's users from fraud.

We all know Google has hundreds of data points in it's ranking algorithm so it's certainly plausible that 3rd party verification would be one of them.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

Google will not use anything that companies who  can afford such things "to get a boost", simply because that reduces the trust that users  put in Googles 'unbiased' 'opinion' of any particular URL.

Also the the ASA would be on them like a ton of bricks for it.

#7 hardwells

hardwells

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Won't help with Google, but it could help boost customer trust.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

This consumer trust study from a usability group does support the view that about half of all consumers are inclined to trust the seals they find on Websites.

The real problem with metricizing trust like this, however, is that you are trying to compete in organic search on "factors" and no one outside of the search engines knows:
  • What the factors are
  • How much weight each factor is given
  • When a factor is used to help determine rankings
  • When the weights are changed (or why)
You can't compete like this without running a very high risk of doing something wrong. Now, Website owners make mistakes all the time, but if you're so focused on rankings and factors then how much attention are you paying to creating the best consumer experience?

Marketing on the Web cannot just be about bringing in the traffic. It also has to be about creating the experience because once the visitor arrives on your site the experience they have is the only marketing function you have left.

#9 ecommSEO

ecommSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

I know for a fact that trust seals do boost conversions and have other positive impact I was just wondering specifically about whether or not Google would give any credit or boost when using an established trusted 3rd party like Norton/Symantec. 

I have to believe that using an EVSSL could certainly help but the question as to how much seems to be unknown.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

I have to believe that using an EVSSL could certainly help but the question as to how much seems to be unknown.

Why???????

This isn't a religion where "faith" overrides common sense or evidence. Until somebody can clearly demonstrate that their URLs started getting more referrals and conversions from Search after installing a certificate, it is pure speculation.

#11 ecommSEO

ecommSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Why???????

This isn't a religion where "faith" overrides common sense or evidence. Until somebody can clearly demonstrate that their URLs started getting more referrals and conversions from Search after installing a certificate, it is pure speculation.

Let me know when you can clearly demonstrate every one of Google's hundreds if not thousands of variables involved in their ranking algorithm. We all know SEO is part art and part science.

We also know that Google places a ton of importance on trust, especially when it comes to ecommerce and other forms of transactions where money and personal data are exchanged. I think it's reasonable to assume that Google places value on 3rd party verification and factors it in.

Is it speculation? Absolutely. Just like every other piece of SEO wisdom that is taken as gospel that doesn't come from Google's mouth. We all know there are many factors that are virtually impossible to split test for so at some point you have to make assumptions based on knowledge of Google and what is important to them. Trust is important. Not having customer defrauded is important and 3rd party verification companies play a role in that.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Let me know when you can clearly demonstrate every one of Google's hundreds if not thousands of variables involved in their ranking algorithm. We all know SEO is part art and part science.

EXACTLY my point.

We also know that Google places a ton of importance on trust, especially when it comes to ecommerce and other forms of transactions where money and personal data are exchanged. I think it's reasonable to assume that Google places value on 3rd party verification and factors it in.

Google have their own version of "trust" and it doesn't involve certificates from ANYBODY.

Why, why oh WHY does everybody insist on treating Google as if it is THE ONLY way you can get traffic and conversions.

Forget about Google, get your own traffic, build your own 'trust', get your own conversions. Google WILL prefer that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.