• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Please Help: Google Dropped Me From Their Search Results (No Manual Ac

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 justgiganni

justgiganni

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hi-

My website is:

REMOVED

I've been ranking on Google pages 3/4 for months now and Google suddenly dropped me. My subpages are found but on pages 20+, however, my index page is not listed at all. I checked this using a Keyword Ranking Tool after I got tired of manually looking through search ranking (reaching page 10 and I knew something was wrong). 

I'm still ranking on page 1 of Bing and Yahoo for my desired keywords... one of them being REMOVED".

I read that I might be in violation of Google's rules and that I should check my GWT "Manual Actions" section and see what it says. It says everything is fine and I am not in violation of anything.

My Google rankings have been suffering like this for 2 weeks now and I don't know what the next step is. I resubmitted my sitemap, resubmitted my index page for crawl... don't know what else or why this happened in the first place.

Please help!

Edited by chrishirst, 24 October 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Stop checking "rankings"  would be the best thing to do next, after that stop using silly "tools" to check 'rankings'

Was the 'site' "new" 3/4 months ago?

#3 justgiganni

justgiganni

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

No, the site is about 1.5 years old. 

I'm not only using "silly tools". I'm also manually checking the search pages (via private browsing) to see if I appeared. As mentioned in my previous post, I got to page 10 and noticed that I still wasn't popping up.

My site was ranking on page 2/3 for my desired keyword for about almost a year... and now my index page is nowhere to be found.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

I'm not only using "silly tools". I'm also manually checking the search pages (via private browsing) to see if I appeared.

You don't really think that "private browsing" makes a  difference where Google 'rankings' are concerned do you, they don't need their cookie details to provide a "search History" and personalise the results.

and now my index page is nowhere to be found.

What about the rest of the site URLs?

Has anything else dropped?

Search referrals, direct referrals, traffic in general, conversions, enquiries?

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

What Chris said -- has your traffic been affected? What about conversions? Those matter a lot more than apparent rankings. A drop in traffic accompanied by a drop in conversions would be a lot more worrying to me than what it looks like my rankings might be. What you see in rankings may not necessarily be what the rest of the world sees. Google is personalizing the search results for everybody...

Personally, I haven't actively checked the "rankings" for any of my company's sites in years.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#6 justgiganni

justgiganni

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

2 weeks isn't enough for me to really determine is traffic has increased or decreased. But over the past 2 weeks, I have not received one organic search referral on my index page. If they land on my page it's because they've been referred by either Bing or Yahoo. But never from Google. My other pages are found but dropped drastically as well. Page 20+.

#7 justgiganni

justgiganni

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

What Chris said -- has your traffic been affected? What about conversions? Those matter a lot more than apparent rankings. A drop in traffic accompanied by a drop in conversions would be a lot more worrying to me than what it looks like my rankings might be. What you see in rankings may not necessarily be what the rest of the world sees. Google is personalizing the search results for everybody...

Personally, I haven't actively checked the "rankings" for any of my company's sites in years.

Even when you search privately (or incognito mode for Chrome) does Google still personalize search results? 

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

It's not so much whether they're personalizing them for you as the fact they're personalizing them for everybody else. It's likely that very few (if any) of your customers are using incognito mode when searching for your site. (Frankly, most people don't even know incognito mode exists, much less what it would be used for.)

The end result is the same, though. What you see when you search is not going to be the same as what they see when they search. Either way, you can't guarantee in any way that what you're seeing has any relationship to what the average searcher might see when they enter that same search phrase.

Which is why rank-checking is generally not much more useful -- or accurate -- than taking random pot-shots in the dark.

I am concerned by the lack of organic referrals to your pages. Two weeks should be enough to tell if there's been a drastic decrease in traffic, particularly if you segment by source. If you really have dropped off Google's radar in some way, you should see a cliff wall of organic Google traffic drop-off along about the time whatever issue it might have been happened.

It's too long ago for it to be an effect of the latest Panda update, but there was a Penguin update that rolled out a couple of weeks ago. (It was a "slow rollout" to my understanding, so it didn't affect all sites all at once.) Even though you haven't received any notifications in GWT, is it possible you have a larger-than-desirable number of questionable links pointing to your pages?

Alternative explanations: you have some links that used to be valuable, but have been devalued for some reason (maybe the sites linking to you have been caught up in a Penguin or Panda update, unbeknownst to you). Or maybe a high-powered site that used to link to you has dropped the link as part of some "housecleaning" on their site. Or perhaps one of your competitors has hired a good SEO firm who is now helping them move up in the results. SEO is a zero-sum game -- when they move up, somebody else has to move down... or maybe one of them has managed to conduct a successful "negative-SEO" campaign against you.

Point is, lacking a clear smoking gun (such as a GWT notification), it's really hard for us to diagnose the problem from arm's length here. We can tell you what is most often the problem in our experience, but that doesn't mean that's the issue for you. If you don't feel comfortable doing a stem-to-stern site review yourself, you might want to hire a qualified SEO to do one for you. (And, no, I'm booked solid right now so this isn't a sales pitch. :) )

#9 justgiganni

justgiganni

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

Sigh... this sucks.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

Without getting into keywords and URLs, what is the purpose of your site? Is it any of the following:
  • A personal blog where you share whatever you care about
  • A company Website that explains what the company does
  • A retail site where people can buy products directly from you (your company)
  • A news Website where people can read the latest articles about (local/regional/national/world) events/people
  • A web forum where people can get together and talk about whatever their shared interests are
  • A Website that is only intended to drive traffic to other sites so that you can make commissions
  • Something else

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Sigh... this sucks.

Not really, the simple fact appears to that you seem to have been, or are, relying on the "good will" of Google's algorithm to get visitors to your site. There seems to have been little or no effort to get traffic independent of search.

The real goal of optimisation and promotion is to get qualified traffic,  NOT to sit back, check rankings and HOPE that traffic will just arrive.

The Internet is not "The field of dreams".

Edited by chrishirst, 24 October 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#12 justgiganni

justgiganni

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Not really, the simple fact appears to that you seem to have been, or are, relying on the "good will" of Google's algorithm to get visitors to your site. There seems to have been little or no effort to get traffic independent of search.

The real goal of optimisation and promotion is to get qualified traffic,  NOT to sit back, check rankings and HOPE that traffic will just arrive.

The Internet is not "The field of dreams".

I don't just sit back. I blog good content twice a week. I make sure to bookmark my posts on 5-8 social bookmarking sites. I utilize Tumblr. I try and guest blog when possible... all in hopes for legit traffic.

Without getting into keywords and URLs, what is the purpose of your site? Is it any of the following:

• A personal blog where you share whatever you care about
  • A company Website that explains what the company does
  • A retail site where people can buy products directly from you (your company)
  • A news Website where people can read the latest articles about (local/regional/national/world) events/people
  • A web forum where people can get together and talk about whatever their shared interests are
  • A Website that is only intended to drive traffic to other sites so that you can make commissions
  • Something else

I'm a wedding photographer. The site is used as my portfolio where I show my work. It also shows my fees as well as has a blog which I post to at least twice a week.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

I make sure to bookmark my posts on 5-8 social bookmarking sites. I utilize Tumblr. I try and guest blog when possible... all in hopes for legit traffic.

And do you do anything that could be actually useful? That is just the usual kind of random junk promotion that the clueless "experts" shout from the rooftops. You may as well take handfuls of flyers and throw them out of a fifth floor window of a building that overlooks Times Square.

Do you know your audience?

Do you know what kind of sites they frequent?

Have you ever analysed the response your "bookmarks" get from specific sites?

#14 justgiganni

justgiganni

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

And do you do anything that could be actually useful? That is just the usual kind of random junk promotion that the clueless "experts" shout from the rooftops. You may as well take handfuls of flyers and throw them out of a fifth floor window of a building that overlooks Times Square.

Do you know your audience?

Do you know what kind of sites they frequent?

Have you ever analysed the response your "bookmarks" get from specific sites?

Yes I do.

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:00 AM

Yes I do.

So WHY do you care about "rankings" then when your visitor tracking should be telling you that Search is NOT your 'best' or only source of traffic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.