• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Research On Twitter ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

Is it possible to get keyword searches for twitter or any other social media platform ?

I mean google gives you the keyword planner, so you can see search volumes.

Does something like that exist for twitter, or G+, or any other social media platform ?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

There are some API tools that track hash tags. It's hard to keep up with which ones are still active because every now and then Twitter changes its terms of service and puts some third-party developers out of business.

One universal limitation with all the hash taggers, though, is that the API only reports on searches for one hash tag. So if you put #multiple #hashtags into a Tweet you cannot see the statistics for "#multiple #hashtags".

And then there is also Twitter's native trending report, which you can slightly modify by changing the region.

#3 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Yeah I see.. I guess it doesn't make much sense to search for some specific keywords on twitter... except building relationships with users... but that's of course tedious... was just wondering how you could reach your target audience on twitter for some specific topics....

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

You do realise that "Twitter" and "Google+" are NOT actually there as a 'marketing' resource so DON'T really care about marketers and  are NOT going to actively assist marketers who ONLY want to abuse their system and users.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

Well, technically Twitter does make money from marketers who pay to "promote" their posts. So in one sense, they do exist as a "marketing resource." In their case, while I haven't personally investigated, I suppose there might be additional information available, but only if you're a paying advertiser. If I were them, I wouldn't necessarily make a lot of information available for free (because where's the ROI in that for them?) but I would be willing to share a bit more with people who are actually paying me. Especially if access to that information would help them be more successful with their ad campaigns (thus increasing the chances they'll come back and pay me more money in the future for subsequent ad campaigns...).

G+, on the other hand... well, I figure that primarily exists as a means of feeding more information to Google itself. Right now, would-be marketers on G+ are flying as blind as everyone else, and I suspect The Google would like to keep it that way. Give marketers too much information, and they'll skew the data by piling on to what they perceive to be "high ROI" keywords. This way Google has at least one (relatively) uncontaminated data stream to review. They've already got plenty of revenue coming from AdWords, so there's little incentive to monetize G+, at least in the short run.

In short, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

--Torka :oldfogey:

• reseo likes this

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

Twitter's marketing tools are still in their infancy, in no small part due to the naivete of their development team (who, for example, came to the bizarre conclusion a couple years back that no one uses RSS any more).

Twitter is trying to be its own little universe, separate from Google. That philosophy has hurt them (their growth has slowed, for example) and it may be several more years before they learn their lesson and become a more open resource.

That said, even though Twitter is the Web's second most active search resource it is a different kind of search environment from what you have on Bing and Google. If someone can crack the multi-keyword indexing problem with Twitter then maybe we'll get some decent tracking tools.

Meanwhile, you can sign up for Twitter ads (it is free for now) and download statistics data. You can also request your account statistics without signing up for the ads service (you get entirely different data this way). Analyzing your Tweet traffic will help you figure out what kinds of campaigns to run on Twitter.

Comparing Twitter statistics to site referral data in analytics is also helpful. Of course, as Twitter changes the environment it is next to impossible to "predict" what will perform well. You can only measure what resonates with the people who see your content on Twitter.

Their random display of Tweets algorithm should increase visibility for a lot of people with relatively few followers but it will make it that much harder for marketers to come up with clear, effective strategies (unless they have budgets large enough to pay for experimental advertising campaigns).

Edited by Michael Martinez, 21 October 2014 - 09:38 AM.

• reseo likes this

#7 n0tSEO

n0tSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

In my experience, keyword research on Twitter is an entirely different thing than what you do on Bing or Google. You could check Twitter trends via the list you see on the left sidebar of your Twitter account, or you could use API-based tools as Michael suggested, but I found that simple searches help me more on Twitter than any such tools.

For example, say I'm interested in "robotics diy kit(s)". I run a Twitter search and find that the last tweets containing those words have been posted this week and that there are at least 10 tweets/month containing those search terms. Now, the first thing I'll do is save this search in my account, then I'll get in touch with the latest tweeters with replies and retweets as I see it relevant. Next time I publish tweets about "robotics diy kits", I will mention these people, as they are my audience. Most of the time, these people will retweet your tweets. And then the whole thing goes viral.

That's how I build my audience in a certain niche. :)

(And building relationships with users is actually fun!)

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

And that's how to use social media for marketing... :)

(Well done, n0tSEO! :thumbup:)

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.